Moparts

Wiper linkage bushing/attachment

Posted By: convertriple

Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/29/09 02:20 AM

I'm having a HECK of a time getting the wiper linkage attached to the passenger side wiper. I have the wiper motor out, and can get my hand in there, but no luck getting the rod/bushing to snap onto the wiper pivot. I have tried pliers, hammer and extensions, etc

This is a 73 A-body which uses the plastic insert bushings.

Anyone know a trick to this?
Posted By: landon1

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/29/09 02:43 AM

i did that chore on my D100....i think you just gotta keep fighting it...

idk if it would work or not, but i put my front wheel bearing dust caps in the freezer for 5 minutes or so to get them to fit...not sure if plastic would contract like that or not
Posted By: 268RTs4ME

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/29/09 02:47 AM

I just did my 74 RR, with the plastic bushing.I learned to leave my wiper motor on the cars and unbolt the regulators and unhook off of wiper motor,and took regulators and shafts out in one piece. I put new bushings in rod and had to tap them on my regulators with a rubber mallet, they were a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean], then i played with them for an hour getting them back in, but I got em, didn't cuse to much, then hooked up on wiper motor and they work prefect on all three speeds. After i got them on regulator i sprayed bushings with white lube,stuck back in as one unit,all hooked up, installing drivers side reg, first,then passenger, then to motor.
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/29/09 03:12 AM

just need to learn how to bend your forearm. and bleed a little. it can be done. hurts like hell- but it'll go on
Posted By: 69MOPE

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/30/09 01:48 AM

I drill a 1/16" hole in the back of the bushing to let the air out.

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/30/09 02:00 AM

I've got the bleeding part down, I'm resisting teaching my forearm to bend though .
It's been a b****, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's an AC car, and there is apparently more stuff in the way than on my old non-AC car. I'm trying to do it through the wiper motor hole, hopefully I don't have to disassemble the entire undash section. That would sock.

I think I have replenished my vocabulary enough that I can give it another try this weekend.
I'll try the 1/16 hole as well.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/30/09 02:14 AM

Try a little white lithium grease inside the bushing.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/30/09 04:12 AM

I did my 79 D100 last year, and I used the white grease, and I was able to get a tiny pair of channel lock pliers in there to put the final squeeze on it..
Posted By: MadMatt

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/30/09 05:09 AM

I did mine a while back on my '70 Dart. If I remember right I ended up taking out the ashtray and radio and I was able to reach it thru the ashtray opening while looking thru the radio opening. Probably won't work though if you have forearms like Popeye.

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/31/09 06:11 PM

Finally got it, I had tried every pair of plier/vice grips available EXCEPT the 24 inch pair. Guess what, I never thought they would fit, but they did the job. I still can't believe it.
Wipers work now!

Thanks for the help guys.
Posted By: CHRGR69

Re: Wiper linkage bushing/attachment - 10/31/09 08:29 PM

Quote:

I drill a 1/16" hole in the back of the bushing to let the air out.

Hmmmmm
© 2024 Moparts Forums