Moparts

Source heads

Posted By: WannaRunner

Source heads - 10/28/09 05:42 AM

Will the CNC'ed 440source heads that modern is doing flow enough for a 512 or 528 stroker?? this would be with the Airgap dual quad intake and QF E85 carbs.

Thanks
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Source heads - 10/28/09 05:45 AM

How much power do you want? The general rule of thumb is 2hp per cfm of flow. By that token the CNC'd source heads should do over 600hp.

Re: Source heads - 10/28/09 06:54 AM

Thats about what I'm looking for, i want it to be streetable.....

Thanks
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Source heads - 10/28/09 09:15 AM

Might want to try posting on the racers forum. A few guys there have the heads and have done similar mods with them.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Source heads - 10/28/09 01:13 PM

Depends of what you want. Flow is one thing, crossectional area is another. If you have cubes and you want power, you'll need a proper port size. The CNC 440source head is very good for a big high torq engine, but the port size will hold it back at higher rpm.

Re: Source heads - 10/28/09 07:46 PM

I'm not worried so much about high RPM use as I will only go to the track once in a great while, I'm looking more at low end "grunt" for in town driving...

Thanks for the heads up guys.....
Posted By: iron6

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 12:22 AM

I have a set still in the box I'll sell for $900.00 you pay the shipping. I changed my mind and plan to use an INDY EZ. Call 717-514-1216
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 01:26 AM

Where were you 6 months ago?
Jim
Posted By: chrisf

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 03:52 AM

my honest first hand advice is to save your money and buy eddie cnc heads. the source heads arent the best quality castings. i have more into my source heads fixing quality control issues than a set of eddies are worth.

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 05:23 AM

Is everything in the stock location with the Eddies?

~thanks
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 07:10 AM

Quote:

~thanks

Yes.

FWIW I had zero problems with my source heads out of the box and I've been daily driving them. Plus the CNC'd source heads are done by modern cylinder head so they do get looked over again before you get them.

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 07:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

~thanks

Yes.

FWIW I had zero problems with my source heads out of the box and I've been daily driving them. Plus the CNC'd source heads are done by modern cylinder head so they do get looked over again before you get them.

Thanks!
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 12:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

~thanks

Yes.

Did Edelbrock change the sparkplug angles back to stock angles at one time?

I thought only the Mopar Performance heads made by Edelbrock had at least the sparkplugs at 90 degrees to the head again.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 12:50 PM

E heads use angle plugs.I also have the Sourve heads and have about 400 into new spreings retainers keepers.Id of had to change them on the E heads also.I have over 2 years on my heads street and strip.No problems at all.Mine are the first ones.If they had had the CNC ones I would have bought them.Rocky
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 01:45 PM

I ran the numbers for the ported Source heads on desktop dyno and they made more torque and HP than ez1 heads. This was with a mild solid roller and with the 512 and 528 configuration. However, they are at their limit at that point so if you want more power in the future then you have to go with a different head.

For what you're doing I'd go with the 512 and the ported Source heads. They don't need any special rockers, etc.

Re: Source heads - 10/29/09 11:14 PM

Quote:

I ran the numbers for the ported Source heads on desktop dyno and they made more torque and HP than ez1 heads. This was with a mild solid roller and with the 512 and 528 configuration. However, they are at their limit at that point so if you want more power in the future then you have to go with a different head.

For what you're doing I'd go with the 512 and the ported Source heads. They don't need any special rockers, etc.

Thanks for your effort! the 512 is about where I am hovering, anything more and the RR will be on skates.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums