Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 12:39 AM

Oh this ought to be good...

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 12:41 AM

Quote:

Oh this ought to be good...

Posted By: stumpy

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 12:48 AM

The only legal way to get a new VIN tag is to take the title and the car to the cops and have them inspect it and issue a state VIN. I believe the state police will do it not the locals.
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 12:56 AM

you had better search high and low and FIND IT.... dan
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 01:07 AM

If you do not find it, you will have to contact your state DMV or BMV to get a replacement.

If anyone tells you differently (someone here usually does) then they are helping you commit a felony.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by moparts - 10/27/09 12:37 PM

Posted By: stumpy

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 02:13 PM

It's illegal to make a VIN tag.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 02:19 PM

Quote:

It's only illegal if you get caught!
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by moparts - 10/27/09 04:23 PM

Posted By: IMGTX

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 04:45 PM

In TN you are allowed to get replacement plates. I found this out by going to the state police and inquiring. His first response was do I want a replacement plate or a new Vin issued. I asked about replacements and he said get the paperwork from the guy who makes them he would inspect the car and sign off on it. I got a price and went with a state issued VIN. Much Much Cheaper.

The key is that anything done with the VIN starts with your states DMV/State Police. It's the only legal way to do anything.
Posted By: cloneguy

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 04:56 PM

Laws are different in every state.

In some states, FL for sure, they "reassign" you the original VIN when you have proof, like the fender tag, title and non-public stampings. I would assume that getting a reproduction tag would be legal in a state that gives you back your original VIN.

BUT check the laws in your state first!

Posted By: 64Post

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:05 PM

I'm unsure how this actually works so I have few questions.

What if someone had a FT made using all the original numbers except they substituted the Hemi engine code (and other codes required for the Hemi option) for the 383 that was originally on the FT?

And, would the new VIN issued by the DMV now reflect the car as a Hemi car using the specific letter in the VIN code? Or, would the new VIN be a non-Chrysler specific series of alpha-numeric code?
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:13 PM

Just when I thought the bashing was almost going to be over in this thread...
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:15 PM

Quote:

Or, would the new VIN be a non-Chrysler specific series of alpha-numeric code?

Yes.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:29 PM

Quote:

What if someone had a FT made using all the original numbers except they substituted the Hemi engine code (and other codes required for the Hemi option) for the 383 that was originally on the FT?

And, would the new VIN issued by the DMV now reflect the car as a Hemi car using the specific letter in the VIN code? Or, would the new VIN be a non-Chrysler specific series of alpha-numeric code?

In TN it has to have an existing title. If you had a fender tag with a Hemi Engine Code and a Title with a 318 Engine code they would probably take your car. They issue tags based on the existing paperwork and stampings you can't change stuff. If you do not have an existing title they won't issue a tag as far as I know. When I checked it was for a 318 car and wasn't worth the cost of the replacement tag. It is now living somewhere with a state issued VIN.

The key is always check with the DMV/State Police.
Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:37 PM

How exactly do you lose a VIN?
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, its illegal no matter what. You just dont get punished unless your caught.
The big Karmic wheel keeps turning...
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, its illegal no matter what. You just dont get punished unless your caught.
The big Karmic wheel keeps turning...

Good answer!
Posted By: burdar

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:50 PM

Quote:

It really wouldn't be that difficult to loose one being that it is attached to the dash...a replacable part. I'm sure many cars have had their VINs lost after replacing a dash pad.
Posted By: cloneguy

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 05:59 PM

Quote:

I'm sure someone will chime in on this but, wasn't there a guy in NY that did that very thing a year or two ago? And, isn't he doing time somewhere now?

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It really wouldn't be that difficult to loose one being that it is attached to the dash...a replacable part. I'm sure many cars have had their VINs lost after replacing a dash pad.

The pad just goes over a metal frame. Why would you pop out the rivets and tamper with it unless the frame itself was needing to be replaced?
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 06:22 PM

the tag is on the "pad" itself in a few models, part of the section thats removable from the dash frame.

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 06:38 PM

Never seen it like that on a '70 B body. Should just have a pad on the edge of the dash.

Maybe an E body, can't remember, but I thought the VIN was still riveted to the dash itself and the pad went around that making it look like it was one peice.
Posted By: burdar

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 07:23 PM

The tag is rivited to the pad on an E-body.
Posted By: minivan

Re: VIN Plates - 10/27/09 08:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The pad just goes over a metal frame. Why would you pop out the rivets and tamper with it unless the frame itself was needing to be replaced?

On my 67 its riveted to the door frame..

I removed mine when I had the car sandblasted on a rotisserie.. Yes I kept it in a good spot..

BUT, I had to move it (and me) out of my home (divorce)when my car was totally apart.. It was all in boxes, shell on a rotisserie, etc... Stored parts at 2 different friends homes, my parents home, and a storage unit before moving into my new home almost 2 years later..... Yes, I lost some stuff during the moves, fortunately not my vin tag..

Point is you can lose stuff due to circumstances beyond your control......

Attached picture 5570139-convertiblerotisserieresize.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums