Moparts

How hot does your electric fuel pump get?

Posted By: Kelob_pie

How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/26/09 01:45 AM

Hi guys. I have a Quickstar 275 pump, I never went for long cruises with my car yet (nothing over 20 miles at a crack, still trying to finish the car up), but even going for a five mile ride I notice that the outside of the pump gets surprisingly very, very warm to the touch. Is this normal?
Also, car pooped out today after the fuel pump stopped working. I tapped it with a rubber mallet and it started working again.
It's currently set up dead head style per Magnaflows instructions.
What do you think? How hot to the touch do yours get?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/26/09 03:09 AM

Quote:

car pooped out today after the fuel pump stopped working. I tapped it with a rubber mallet and it started working again. What do you think?

It's got a problem, open it up & check it out & fix it if it's fixable or replace it before it conks out for good a long ways from home.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/26/09 11:42 AM

Maybe brushes in the motor getting hung up.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/26/09 12:05 PM

Dead head is a very bad idea with a electric fuel pump. It needs a return line to cool the pump and prevent vapor lock, no matter what the instructions say.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/26/09 08:41 PM

Elec pumps need constant cool fuel thru them. I've heard of some folks T'ing the return into the pump inlet, and this works to some extent. But you'll always be sending hot fuel thru the pump that way (especially at idle when bypass fule volume is highest) and the situation will be worse the higher your pump capacity is.

IMHO, teh folks that T back into pump inlet might be fine for driving around town, but I wonder how many of them go on a road trip and kill their pump?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/27/09 01:27 AM

what about a pump like this? the fuel flows through the bottom base plate, and not through or around the electric motor to cool it down, how much cooling will you get by running a return system on a pump like this?

I've had mine set-up dead head style for 2 years now, 4,000 street miles, to include a road trip from Columbus to Pittsburgh--3.5 hours 1 way.

Attached picture 5568856-Pump.jpg
Posted By: ledft79

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/27/09 01:37 AM

99 corvette fuel filter has a third line wich is used as a return line for unneeded fuel to return back to the tank. It is a fairly easy change over, depending on your fittings.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/27/09 02:46 AM

Without a return line the pump is overworking unless you're running the motor at WOT. For anything other than a race car you need a return line.

As for using the fuel to cool the pump and then send the hot fuel on to the carb , well, that wouldn't be my preference!!

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/27/09 04:40 AM

The setup I have has a pump and filter in one unit. It has an external bypass (after the pump) that runs back into the tank. I'm sorry, maybe it's not a dead head? That's what some guy that saw my setup told me. Don't know that much about the fuel sytem stuff.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/27/09 01:29 PM

Is the bypass pressure adjustable? Maybe its set too high.

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/27/09 05:40 PM

The bypass is fixed at 18 PSI I believe. It is not adjustable.
Posted By: ramcharger1964

Re: How hot does your electric fuel pump get? - 10/27/09 07:24 PM

18 seems WAY high to me. I run my 500 CI max wedge at 9 psi with the motor off and 6 while it is running.........
© 2024 Moparts Forums