Moparts

Headgasket Repair in a Bottle

Posted By: CJK440

Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/24/09 06:01 PM

My sister in laws mechanic says her 01 Mazda 6 has a headgasket problem. He's 95% sure but he won't fix it, doesn't do that kind of work, told her $1500 job.

I think he is worried he won't get paid.

So, of course I am the car guy of the family and she asked me to fix it.

Not only do I not want to do it, but I couldn't even do it if I wanted to until 2 weeks or more.

The car is still driveable but loses coolant.

Any mechanics in a bottle worth trying? I have heard something called Blue Devil??

Hopefully something like that will fix the issue until the car dies from something else.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/24/09 06:08 PM

Where is the coolant leaking into?

If it's leaking into the combustion chambers, that's going to be tough to fix in a can. KW Ceramic Seal would be the best chance. IIRC, you have to run it, then completly drain/air flush the cooling system of all/most of it's liquid. Then let it sit overnight.

If it's just seeping out of the side of the block or into the oil you could run something like Justice Brothers Radiator Stop Leak. Just used some of that on Troy's T/A on a seeping SB timing chain cover, has worked for over a year now.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/24/09 06:10 PM

Go to any autopart store and get the package with 6 quarter sized light brown slugs, its crushed walnuts with some other stuff mixed in its only about $3 for the package, this is what GM used in their late 90's engines from the factory. it works good. but if its a big leak nothing will work.

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/24/09 07:45 PM

I haven't even looked at it, just going by her mechanics word.

He gave her Bars leaks and it hasn't done much.

This is the stuff I was wondering about.

https://gouniversalproducts.com/product-101-Blue-Devil-Head-Gasket-Sealant.html
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/24/09 08:15 PM

See PM.
Posted By: 74fldart

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/24/09 11:27 PM

i asked the parts store counter man about blue devil a while back and he said it really works, and works so well, it was off the market for a few years because it was taking money away from repair shops. the only drawback is that you must follow the directions to a tee and you must open up the system after youve added it and let it dry completely for around 2 days it think it is. its not cheap at $60.00 a bottle but thats alot cheaper than a gasket job these days.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/24/09 11:36 PM

a quote from a sign years ago

why is there time to do the job the second time but never enough time to do it right the first time???

do the job right, leave the miracle cures to the Science...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/24/09 11:40 PM

I would advise her to keep the coolant topped off (it's getting cold so keep an eye on the antifreeze protection level) and to start saving/planning for another vehicle. EDIT there is a good reason why people refuse (politely of course) to do business w family/relatives
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 12:46 AM

Quote:

I would advise her to keep the coolant topped off (it's getting cold so keep an eye on the antifreeze protection level) and to start saving/planning for another vehicle.

But have also had good luck with Mendtite (SP)
Posted By: therocks

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 12:14 PM

We used I believe Barrs leak that comes in the silver bottle.Had a few customers with GMs infamous 3.1s that had intake and a few that had a head gasket leak.They didnt want to spend 1K or more to fix them.One guy drove to Pitt from here and wanted a month out of his van.He was still driving it like 4 months later.It costs like 30 bucks for the bottle and you just add it no flushing.It wont fix something major but has worked on the smaller leaks we had.Not a permanent cure but might get her thru for a while.Rocky

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 02:23 PM

Quote:

why is there time to do the job the second time but never enough time to do it right the first time???

I know but I don't want to do the job at all.

If it was a 4 cylinder I'd be more enthusiastic but the transverse V6 is not fun. And of couse the car wasn't maintained and is nasty under the hood. I wouldn't be suprised if the tranny goes 1 month later.

What really scares me is how her mechanic is not positive its the gaskets nor will he do the job. Does he know something?? All I need to do is have the problem not as cut and dry as a gasket swap and be married to it if there is still a problem.......
Posted By: moper

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 02:34 PM

Chris... Make every excuse to not touch it. Family will get over saying no much faster then when she has to pay and pay as the dominos start to fall and it's all your fault and you "give her adeal" and it's all your problem. JUST SAY NO
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 02:48 PM

Quote:

Chris... Make every excuse to not touch it. Family will get over saying no much faster then when she has to pay and pay as the dominos start to fall and it's all your fault and you "give her adeal" and it's all your problem. JUST SAY NO

Couldn't have said it better myself
Posted By: cornet684me

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 03:03 PM

i agree, my dad told me when i was younger, there are 5 things that you cannot mix,

Family, Friends, Money, Booze, Women!

if you put any of these 5things together, you are going to be in trouble,

Posted By: moper

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 03:58 PM

Quote:

i agree, my dad told me when i was younger, there are 5 things that you cannot mix,

wow... That makes for some boring evenings

(jk )
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 04:05 PM

Quote:

i agree for the most part, although i've never had a problem mixing booze and friends

Posted By: dirtybee

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 04:07 PM

dang moper ya beat me to it
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 05:46 PM

Quote:

I agree, somehow I don't think a bottle of miracle-repair would have worked on this:

... and notice the pitting on the head about 1 o'clock because I drove it for months and kept adding coolant! Now I need some TIG and resurface work.

I agree with the other posters...
1) don't do the job yourself
2) have her pay someone to do it right

-Charles
Posted By: LikarockCrusher

Re: Headgasket Repair in a Bottle - 10/25/09 07:09 PM

Well, I can say I don't believe in all that stuff about a bottle fixing a head gasket. I have had several guys try to show me it works but have always failed. And buy chance it does. How does it know not to plug up a radiator or heater core? And if those are flowing good before you put the crap in the radiator then it seems your going be out more money then if you fixed it right the first time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums