Moparts

Removing Parking Brake Cables

Posted By: 73ChargerSE

Removing Parking Brake Cables - 10/15/09 11:16 PM

Just swapped out my 8 1/4" to an 8 3/4" and one of the only things holding me up are the e-brake cables. I've tried the hose clamp "trick" but it doesn't seem to be working. Are there any other tricks to it?

Thanks!
Paul
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Removing Parking Brake Cables - 10/15/09 11:18 PM

The hose clamp has got to be right down on the ends of those prongs. Or, you may have to work them with the tip of a screwdriver to get it started through the hole.
Posted By: feets

Re: Removing Parking Brake Cables - 10/15/09 11:51 PM

He's right on the hose clamp. Been there.
One thing that works is a small screwdriver. Grab the cable behind the backing plate and pull it at an angle. Pop the tabs loose one at a time. It'll come out as long as you're not in a full blown tug of war. All it take is enough pressure to keep the tabs in the hole.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Cuss like a sailor. That seems to help.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Removing Parking Brake Cables - 10/15/09 11:57 PM

I use a boxed end 9/16" wrench to compress the fingers. It takes a little practice.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Removing Parking Brake Cables - 10/15/09 11:59 PM

They do make a tool that works great.

Their are also pliers that are for the same job. They don't work as well and are prone to breaking.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Removing Parking Brake Cables - 10/16/09 12:47 AM

The hose clamp works great.
When you install the clamp, make sure that it is about an 1/8" above the 3 locking tabs. Then you can tighten the clamp enough to compress the tabs so they will fit in the hole. Just tighten the clamp, pull on the cable until you feel the fitting drop in the hole. Keep pulling on the cable and release the hose clamp. The cable should pull out easily.

Attached picture 5547783-EmergencyBrakeCableRemoval.jpg
Posted By: a4runer

Re: Removing Parking Brake Cables - 10/16/09 01:17 AM

slip a deep well socket 11/16 I think over the end, cable comes thru center and then puch down it will colapes the fingers
© 2024 Moparts Forums