Moparts

Droplets on my rear bumper

Posted By: attaboy

Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/11/09 10:53 PM

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why every time I drive my 71 Charger the rear bumper gets hundreds of small droplets of something all over it. I know I have a small rear main oil leak but I find it hard to believe that's the problem. Could the motor be running so rich as to be "sputtering" unburnt fuel out the tail pipes onto the bumper?
Thanks
Posted By: MonGoo$e

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/11/09 11:02 PM

typically oil does that, check your plugs, anything fouled/oily?
Posted By: Alexdodge

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/11/09 11:31 PM

Thats amazing, the same thing happens to my 64 dodge when I drive it! It does feel a bit oily.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/12/09 12:53 AM

You guys are not driving fast enough...
Posted By: attaboy

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/12/09 03:18 PM

Thanks for your help. Do you mean oil from the rear main leak or oil in the gas or just plain gas from too rich gas carb? The exhaust does stink quite a bit but no somke.
Thanks
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/12/09 03:32 PM

I have exactly the same issue. I'm sure that the six pack is running too rich.
Posted By: duals

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/12/09 05:44 PM

My 69 RR did that and it was running too rich.
Posted By: 70Sbird

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/12/09 06:00 PM

Same deal here,
Rich smelling exhaust but no smoke, always cleaning up the back bumper
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/12/09 06:13 PM

Its carbon/oil reside that is going through the exhaust. even if the vehicle doesnt smoke at all, it can still get past the guides and rings some and give a slight residue on the rear bumper. This is also far more common with vehicles that have exhaust pipes that exit straight out rather than turning down---especially if the end of the pipe doesnt extend to at least even with the end of the rear bumper. The air pressue coming from underneath the car while driving will "swrirl" upwards at the rear of the vehicle causing the deposits to ---well, deposit on the bumper. Its usually far more noticeable on chrome, but if its on your bumper, its on the back of your car.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/12/09 06:49 PM

Any oil leak be it rear main,valve cover,p/s or trans will accumulate on the rear bumper and up as high as the trunk lid.DON"T ask me how I know
Posted By: 70Sbird

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/12/09 07:11 PM

Quote:

Its carbon/oil reside that is going through the exhaust. even if the vehicle doesnt smoke at all, it can still get past the guides and rings some and give a slight residue on the rear bumper. This is also far more common with vehicles that have exhaust pipes that exit straight out rather than turning down---especially if the end of the pipe doesnt extend to at least even with the end of the rear bumper. The air pressue coming from underneath the car while driving will "swrirl" upwards at the rear of the vehicle causing the deposits to ---well, deposit on the bumper. Its usually far more noticeable on chrome, but if its on your bumper, its on the back of your car.

That Explains it!

Attached picture 5540749-2007rear.JPG
Posted By: torkrules

Re: Droplets on my rear bumper - 10/13/09 12:06 AM

Quote:

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why every time I drive my 71 Charger the rear bumper gets hundreds of small droplets of something all over it. I know I have a small rear main oil leak but I find it hard to believe that's the problem. Could the motor be running so rich as to be "sputtering" unburnt fuel out the tail pipes onto the bumper?
Thanks

Mine was oil. All over the back of the trunk. Check the inside of the tail pipe extension. If they look like a 2 stroke, it's oil.

Typlically too rich leaves a dry residue
© 2024 Moparts Forums