Moparts

No Tailights

Posted By: JM67RT

No Tailights - 10/11/09 01:53 AM

This morning I took my RT out and whenever I touched the brake pedal the dome light went on. I checked my lights and I have no tailights or brakelights. I checked the fuse, it's okay. I checked the connectors to each tailght and no power. Any ideas? Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: No Tailights - 10/11/09 05:47 AM

Which connectors? I'd start w the connectors behind the drivers kick panel & jump 12V to the correct circuit for the brake lights(large filaments) and for the park lights (small filaments) & see if your good downstream & if good there jump 12V to the downstream side of the brake light switch (the white wire) & see if the correct wires in/out of the st column has continuity (for the brakes) at the steering col connector (hot in & 2 hot out to both brake lights). For the park lights pull the bakelite connector off the headlight sw & jump 12V to the park light(s) circuit & see if you have fire at the correct wire behind the kick panel. Wiring diagrams at www.mymopar.com
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: No Tailights - 10/11/09 05:51 AM

Has the car been painted? I had to run dedicated grounds after painting to get good grounding

Re: No Tailights - 10/11/09 09:51 AM

Robert I'll give that a shot.
Car was painted a long time ago. If this adds anything, the turn signals work, but flashers don't work at all (even front lights).
Thanks guys.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: No Tailights - 10/11/09 02:50 PM

if your dome light came on, I would be checking the light switch as well.

The problem for me is I can't think of anywhere those two circuits cross.

Dome light goes to the dimmer and headlight switch. So that does go to the tail lights, but I thought the brake light circuit was split from that.

Either way, with parking lights not working either, that is where I would go.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: No Tailights - 10/11/09 03:04 PM

Emergencies are probably a bad flasher. You have two. One for turn signals and one for emergency signals.

Re: No Tailights - update - 10/12/09 03:07 AM

After testing all the connections I decided to try a spare headlight switch I had. Problem solved. Lights are all working again.
Thanks everyone.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: No Tailights - update - 10/12/09 03:16 AM

Quote:

I decided to try a spare headlight switch I had. Problem solved. Lights are all working again.

even the brake lights

Re: No Tailights - update - 10/12/09 05:23 PM

Yeah even the brakelights and the flashers! The switch was an aftermarket that I put in about 10 years ago. It looked a little cheap compared to an original. I had an original from a car I parted a few years ago. Could have also been just reseating the connectors fixed it?
© 2024 Moparts Forums