Moparts

Do Mustang GT wheels work?

Posted By: Coronet-R/T-Rag

Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 01:57 AM

I've seen Mustang Gt takeoffs really cheap on line. Has anybody run these? Is the backspacing usable?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 02:06 AM

A few people have them on older mopars. From what I understand you need to use wheelspacers since they have a lot of backspacing.

I think they look pretty good if you get the right size tires on them.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 02:12 AM

i run the mustang take offs on my e body. nice looking wheels and really cost effective. i also make the wheel spacers to make them hub centric.
Posted By: Clair_Davis

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 02:27 AM

On a Coronet R/T? Some cars are more tolerant of the large backspace than others. A couple years back, someone on Moparts posted photos of their Coronet R/T (69 model) with 17x9 or 17x10 wheels on the rear for sure, and maybe on the front as well. I've slept since I saw it, but I remember being amazed at how well the wheels fit with no mods. The hub bores on the Mustang wheels are going to be too small to fit the Mopar hub, so you'll probably have to use spacers like Jerry's with the proper hub sizes, or have the wheels machined to fit the Mopar hub. Ideally, you should have the wheels opened up to 73mm so you can use common wheel hub rings to fit the Mopar hub. Then you have wheels that aren't Mopar-specific if you want to sell them in the future.

Clair
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 07:57 PM

just something to think about. what mustang wheels are you talking about? off of the new body style, or 94-04(think they were all about the same). it seems like the new body style would have a different backspacing. my sister put the 99-04 body style bullit wheels on her 68 stang and it looks cool.
Posted By: Pauls69

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 08:04 PM

iirc, the newer mustang 17" wheels have ~5.75" of backspace. the bolt pattern is the same (4.5"), but you'll probably need at least a 1" spacer for a proper fit. i hear that they're a great wheel for the $$$ though, but i always thought there wasn't enough "dish" to the new mustang wheels.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 08:22 PM

The Mustang rims work great on older Mopars with a 235/55 tire. You may need a spacer depending on which vehicle you have and which brake setup is on the car.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 08:52 PM

my car with 255/50R17's and pre-05 mustang wheels (5.72" backspace). I'm using .75" thick bolt on adapters/spacers.

a board member had the same setup (albeit Mach1 rims vs. bullits) on a '69 roadrunner and it fit fine.

the '05-up 17x8 mustang rims are more like 6.3" backspace, so you'd need a 1.25-1.5" spacer

Attached picture 4543300-small_front.JPG
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/10/08 11:43 PM

Yep
No spacer in front, rear 1.125" studded adapter. 255/50-17s all around.

Attached picture 4543607-RicerCuda34rearinet.jpg
Posted By: Clair_Davis

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/11/08 02:37 AM

Quote:

the '05-up 17x8 mustang rims are more like 6.3" backspace, so you'd need a 1.25-1.5" spacer

The wide 5-spoke wheel used on many of the 05+ GT's is 18x8.5, and has something like a 50mm offset.

Clair
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/11/08 05:04 AM

I have some older 16x8's.Shod with 205 55's. They look to be 5 1/2" or a little bigger on the BS'ing.

I am going A body factory discs, '66 B body rear.

I don't like the idea of using spacers!

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/11/08 12:29 PM

rug, you might have to. I don't think a 16x8" stang rim (should be the same 5.72" BS as the 17x8's if it's from the mid-90's thru '04 vintage) will clear the upper ball joint or tie rod end with that much backspace. a 17" will.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/11/08 12:39 PM

my 70 Dart was running 14x7 Magnum 500s from a Mustang, correct backspacing and bolt pattern. They are still on the car somewhere in california too. I had 75 A-Body disc brakes on them and they fit but if you have aftermarket like wilwood I think you need a larger sized rim
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/11/08 12:58 PM

Quote:

rug, you might have to. I don't think a 16x8" stang rim (should be the same 5.72" BS as the 17x8's if it's from the mid-90's thru '04 vintage) will clear the upper ball joint or tie rod end with that much backspace. a 17" will.

Mine have the large flower petal looking plastic center with the pony.

They came from Hotroddave40 in a round about way. He tried them on his '68 Cuda with the the BBP discs, and 66 B body rear. Said he mounted the empty wheel, just never drove it.

Are spacers safe?

Are they legal at the track?

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/11/08 03:22 PM

well, if he got them to fit, then they should work. with that much backspace, the rim goes OVER the UBJ and OTRE. without spacers, my outer tie rod end was within 1/4-1/2" of the rim on my M body, and the zerk of my UBJ is within about 3/8" or so.

no idea on sanctioning body legality, but if you use bolt on adapters made from good material (billet AL, steel), they're just as strong or stronger than the flange coming off you're rear axle, if you use hub-centric "through" spacers with long enough studs, the studs only see tensile load, no bending load, so, as long as the lugs are properly torqued they're safe. heck, A LOT of offroaders use wheel spacers, and some 3/4 and 1 ton truck came with them OEM.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/11/08 03:23 PM

When I put the 2500 Ram 17" alloys on my '93Sub I had to use a 5/16" spacer to get the wheels to fit over the front suspension, this after massaging the upper A-arms quite a bit. This is on a 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban that is plenty heavy on the front end. I have had absolutely no problems with the spacers, about 25K miles so far.

If you are worried about spacers get together with Bill Rolik's website.

R.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Do Mustang GT wheels work? - 07/11/08 03:39 PM

They work on the non-performance stuff too. I ran a set of 17" GT rims on my 02 Intrepid, and a set of 16" Pony wheels on a Caravan. A little massaging of the center hole and a thin spacer to clear the brake pads and they fit fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums