Moparts

Is 3" exhaust too much?

Posted By: cougar_cat_25

Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 09:25 PM

Looking to do up exhaust for a 440 that is mildly built up (about 400 hp). Whats your opinions, 3" or 2.5"?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 09:31 PM

You don't need a 3" system to support 400hp.
Big pipes also drone more often than smaller.

...that said, I always thought a 2.75" system might be just right for so many applications.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 09:40 PM

3" will work real good.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 09:47 PM

A well executed 3" with an x-pipe AND tailpipes w/ muffler of your choice will allow room to grow when you want more than 400 hp....and you know you will want more!
Posted By: Neil

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 09:50 PM

My brother had 2.5" and went with 3" when he still had the 350 in his olds. It ran in the low 14's - high 13's most of the time. While the change didn't provide a huge power increase, the engine did seem to rev more freely, and it stopped blowing collector gaskets out where the tubing size transitioned from the 3" collector to the 2.5" exhaust pipe.

And yes 3" equals more noise vs 2.5" pipe. Depending on where you live the cops might take an interest in the sound making capacity of your ride.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 09:52 PM

IMO 3" isn't needed, unless you plan to up-power the motor at some point.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 10:23 PM

I think anytime a header collector reducer is constricting the flow that power is being left on the table. A 3" system as said is much louder & correct muffs, an X pipe and resonators downstream would be mandatory.
Posted By: CFster

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 10:27 PM

Had a 3" TTI H-pipe system and it was too freeking loud (as in drone). Changed to a 2.5" X-pipe system and it seems to have more low end torque as well.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 10:59 PM

Quote:

Had a 3" TTI H-pipe system and it was too freeking loud (as in drone). Changed to a 2.5" X-pipe system and it seems to have more low end torque as well.

Colin, Love the car! Nice color combo, too.
Posted By: Intense RT Dan

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 11:11 PM

Aren't the F.A.S.T. cars using 2.5"? Pretty sure and they are in the 10's. If that's quick enough for you, stay with the 2.5".
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 11:25 PM

Quote:

Aren't the F.A.S.T. cars using 2.5"? Pretty sure and they are in the 10's. If that's quick enough for you, stay with the 2.5".

Well yes they are because the rules dictate 2.5". Would they be faster with 3"??? Dunnno.

All I know is I put a 3" TTI sytem on my 71 cuda and it was very loud.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 11:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Colin, Love the car! Nice color combo, too.

I was about to comment about how good your 64 looks & saw 64Post had beaten me to it.. Good lookin car, the color & wheel choice both work well..
Posted By: CFster

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 11:33 PM

Thanks.

Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 11:45 PM

I think that 2.5" is plenty for a 400 hp engine. It should be quieter, have less drone and package better than 3". Also the extra velocity and heat in the exhaust gas should help keep the exhaust from rusting out from condensation, without being too restrictive. And many mufflers that have 3" in/outlets actually are 2.5" cores with the tubes swedged out, and don't really flow any more.
Posted By: D_C

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/03/09 11:54 PM

Hmmm...

Ideally, you would run open exhaust with optimized length collectors. Generally speaking, the less restrictive the system, the better.

Sometimes Low-end torque is slightly improved by a more restrictive system. There are systems I have read about the purportedly produce more power with X-Pipes and optimized, tuned mufflers, etc.

Still, less restrictive is typically the better way to go.

I own a '79 Jeep CJ5 with AMC 304 V8. I run 3-inch pipes and Dynomax Mufflers on it. It's not quiet, but not overly loud either.

I also own a '71 Charger. When I upgraded from 2 1/2-inch to 3 1/2-inch exhaust on the 440 in it, 1/4-mile ET performance improved by 7/10-second.

Attached picture 5522946-DragCharger71_1A.jpg
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 12:01 AM

I'm happy with mine.

Attached picture 5522962-MVC-078S.JPG

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 12:31 AM

Here is a page from Magnaflows web site. One thing to consider also is the difference in mandrel bends and the typical exhaust shop bends that have the wrinkles in the bends. A 3" system that has kinks and wrinkles in the bends will not outflow a good mandrel bent 2.5" system.

Attached File
5523028-MagnaFlow.doc  (123 downloads)
Posted By: Boise Chall

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 12:55 AM

On my 512 challenger motor I have 2" TTI headers and 3" pipe into flowmaster 40's that dump just before the rearend. My neighbor complained saying that when I idle my car it vibrates stuff off of his walls in his house 75 feet away. If he wasn't such a jerk I would care but I think he needs to insulate his house better. My other 4 neighbors say they can hear it but it doesn't bother them they love the way it sounds. I haven't been pulled over for it yet but I know I will after all I live in Idaho. In Idaho if it's fun or free it's illegal.

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 01:22 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and specutate that you are making more than the 400 HP that the original poster asked about
Posted By: cougar_cat_25

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 03:26 AM

I'd just hate to mess up this engine by over heating valves and so on. You guys are right about the horse power tho, I haven't upgraded the intake, carb or the heads so I do have room to grow. However, it's a street car and I'd like to build it to be durable.
Posted By: Boise Chall

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 04:43 AM

just a touch more than 400. I will post my build info and see if anybody can figure out how much HP it should be making
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 02:24 PM

Quote:

I also own a '71 Charger. When I upgraded from 2 1/2-inch to 3 1/2-inch exhaust on the 440 in it, 1/4-mile ET performance improved by 7/10-second.

Wow. DC I like that pic of your Charger. THAT is the way to do a '71 Charger!
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 03:18 PM

Quote:

I'd just hate to mess up this engine by over heating valves and so on. You guys are right about the horse power tho, I haven't upgraded the intake, carb or the heads so I do have room to grow. However, it's a street car and I'd like to build it to be durable.

How do you figure you'll overheat valves by the size of your exhaust system? The only way you'll cause problems for the exhaust side of the engine is if you don't run enough timing. The fuel will still be burning as it goes out the exhaust.
I think 2.5" exhaust will be plenty for you. It's easier to package under the car and you'll pay less for the tubing and everything. Well typically you will.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 03:36 PM

if you are buying a new system anyway, i'd go 3" as they cost the same from places like tti. 440's like to breathe
Posted By: MNobody

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 04:41 PM

I run 3" on mine with 2 1/2" flowmasters dumped in front of the axle behind a mild built 318 with a .528 cam and i like it, makes the garage floor vibrate
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 05:03 PM

the only issue i have with the 3" systems is it limits your muffler choices to mostly performance mufflers, with the 2.5" system you can get quieter (but more restrictive) mufflers.
If you want performance go 3", if you want to hear the radio, the 2-1/2" may be better.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 05:05 PM

There is a huge difference in the 3" TTI with Ultraflows (best flow and quiet) than the Flow Bastards. Load rattly and not as good of flow and neighbors hate them!!
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/04/09 05:14 PM

2.5 inch exhaust is fine...even to 500 hp...I have 2.5 TTI on My bee...440/030 over...6 pack with stock high performance manifolds and it works well...I have 3 inch on My 67 GTX with a 498 stroker and fitting th tailpipes and over the axel pipes is a Pain.....I have headers on the GTX and get the drone....The bee has no drone...I attribute it to headers....both have crossover pipes..one thought...the first hemi's rated at 425 hp and were grossly underrated..had less than 2.5 inch exhaust systems.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/05/09 12:28 PM

2.5" MANDREL BENT won't be much of any restriction to a car up to 500-550 HP. it'll be much quieter, too. another option is to go 3" to the mufflers and then 2.5" muffs and tails, as by then the exhaust gasses has contracted and cooled enough to not need all the volume.

a good article:

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/exhaust.html

pg. 2, they only lost like .05 ET going from 3" tails to 2.25" tails....
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/05/09 01:08 PM

I would highly recommend an X pipe over an H pipe setup. Major difference in noise & I think a bit more power also. As said MANDREL bends no matter what system and no neckdown in the muffs.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Is 3" exhaust too much? - 10/05/09 01:53 PM

I run 3" pipes with dumps from the headers to 3" custom mufflers into 2 1/2 tail pipes with factory like stainless tips on my '70 duster..no restrictions what so ever,car has run the same numbers through the exhaust or opening the dumps..
© 2024 Moparts Forums