Moparts

Big block oil pump drive bushing tool

Posted By: biginchmotor

Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/03/09 07:02 PM

A friend of mine called me the other day and asked me if I had ever changed a oil pump drive bushing in the car, I said no. He saw a tool in an old factory service manual but can not find the tool anywhere. He told me the tool was made by Wilson? I told him I would post it here to help him find some info. If anyone can help I will pass it along to him. Thanks John.
Posted By: todd440

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/03/09 07:05 PM

It's a miller tool. I have one in the barn, I'll look at the part number. The number is also listed in the service manual. Same one for small block and big block.

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/03/09 07:09 PM

That would be great. He is trying to do this in the car, thanks.
Posted By: twodoorpost

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/03/09 07:09 PM

Miller C-3052

http://www.handsontools.com/Miller-Tools-C-3052-Bushing-Puller--_p_18000.html

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/03/09 07:12 PM

Thanks for the help...John.

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/03/09 07:19 PM

3052 is the remover, c-3053 is the installation tool.

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/03/09 07:21 PM

http://www.handsontools.com/search.asp?keyword=c-3053&search.x=11&search.y=6
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/03/09 10:16 PM

The correct Miller tool threads into the bushing & in the car would kick out some shavings. I'm wondering if a slde hammer w an L shaped end would get it out of there witout any debris.
Posted By: kruger

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/04/09 12:29 AM

I just use a long rod bent flat at the end with an old 3/8's socket for a slide and a screw driver handle pressed on the other end.
Never made a big effort to find the burnishing tool till I saw the pic in AndyF's book.
That tool would take the big "ooops" factor away
Posted By: ahy

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/04/09 02:14 AM

I had a bushing just pressed in without the tool on a B engine. I had the engine apart for another reason and found a near miss on the bushing. It was loose in the block and almost spinning and tight on the distributor drive shaft. The shaft was scored. I got a new shaft and new bushing and installed it with the correct tool. Some people have gotten lucky but I would never do a bushing again without it. The bushing was designed to be pressed in place and burnished to size with the tool.

Re: Big block oil pump drive bushing tool - 10/04/09 11:18 AM

If the block has been thermal cleaned, they shrink and are not a good press fit any more. I can usually pop them out with easy, and by hand.
© 2024 Moparts Forums