Moparts

edm lifter question

Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

edm lifter question - 10/01/09 05:35 PM

Hello, do you have to remove the inner springs for cam break in when using an EDM style lifter on a mild flat tappet cam. (560 lift 240 @.050 range) Thanks in advance
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: edm lifter question - 10/01/09 06:24 PM

Do you want to get this wrong?? Why risk it...

It has more to do with spring pressure than anything else.. typiclly if you have over 300 lbs @ full lift it is required.. But personally I would tend to be conservative & remove them even if the cam only sees 280ish over the nose...
Posted By: Crizila

Re: edm lifter question - 10/01/09 06:27 PM

Quote:

Do you want to get this wrong?? Why risk it...

It has more to do with spring pressure than anything else.. typiclly if you have over 300 lbs @ full lift it is required.. But personally I would tend to be conservative & remove them even if the cam only sees 280ish over the nose...

That's a big 10-4.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: edm lifter question - 10/01/09 06:28 PM

Quote:

Hello, do you have to remove the inner springs for cam break in when using an EDM style lifter on a mild flat tappet cam. (560 lift 240 @.050 range) Thanks in advance

Largely depends on the open pressure. FWIW I wiped a lobe using std. lifters with 350# open both springs installed. I pulled the inner spring on the subsequent break in

Do you have to? No. Should you? Yes, absolutely. It's your motor though...
Posted By: Crizila

Re: edm lifter question - 10/01/09 06:37 PM

Hughes recommends it with all their dual spring applications.
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: edm lifter question - 10/01/09 06:47 PM

OK, thanks. Might have to bite the bullet and go roller then.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: edm lifter question - 10/01/09 06:49 PM

Quote:

Hughes recommends it with all their dual spring applications.

Yeah John, I know if it were my engine I'd pull the inner springs regardless of the open pressure.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: edm lifter question - 10/01/09 07:09 PM

Quote:

OK, thanks. Might have to bite the bullet and go roller then.

Why, because you have to pull the inner springs on break in ?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: edm lifter question - 10/01/09 07:23 PM

I went roller for no break in on the cam

I also have 3 roller cams to play with,makes it easy to upgrade to next bigger one or step down one,dont have to keep the roller lifter in any speacal order either..

but thats me under the shadetree,I read to many post on here about wiping cam lobes and was a nervos nelly with my new engine combo

© 2024 Moparts Forums