Moparts

What to Fill small drill holes with..

Posted By: mrmopardan

What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 11:18 AM

I am cleaning up things under the hood getting ready for cruzin the coast next week. I have about 10 small drill holes I want to quickly fill & touchup paint with a tiny brush. Other than Bondo, what works well for filling theses 1/8" drill holes ? Thanks
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 11:23 AM

Quote:

I am cleaning up things under the hood getting ready for cruzin the coast next week. I have about 10 small drill holes I want to quickly fill & touchup paint with a tiny brush. Other than Bondo, what works well for filling theses 1/8" drill holes ? Thanks

If you access to a welder i would fill them in with weld and just grind them flat.

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 12:02 PM

No welder. Looking for other methods.
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 12:04 PM

jb weld?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 12:40 PM

Quote:

jb weld?

Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 12:50 PM

A soldering gun and a little solder will fix it right up.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 12:53 PM

Be like the tuners and put LED's in them.
Posted By: maximus

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 01:19 PM

Get some short set screws with some JB Weld on them. Screw them in and grind flat after epoxy dries.
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 01:36 PM

Just throw a rag over the carb and everybody will look at it and wonder what you are hiding and no one will notice the holes.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 03:29 PM

Quote:

A soldering gun and a little solder will fix it right up.

I've done this in the past with my Weller soldering iron and rosin core solder. It helps if you take a larger drill bit and chamfer the holes slightly.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 03:48 PM

I don't like the solder idea ... the flux will rot the surrounding steel in no time unless you can clean it of both sides - not a possibility if the holes are in a frame rail.

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 04:35 PM

I'll try the JB Weld first. Thanks guys
(then I'll try the LED lights.LMAO!! )
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 04:37 PM

3m paintable seam sealer from auto paint store i just used it in my engine compartment and touched it up looks good dan
Posted By: srunge55

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/01/09 05:28 PM

Body guy told me to user panel bond (two part adhesive). The stuff used to glue on replacement panels.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/03/09 01:54 PM

Quote:

I don't like the solder idea ... the flux will rot the surrounding steel in no time unless you can clean it of both sides - not a possibility if the holes are in a frame rail.

Rosin core, rosin core, not acid core. Rosin core is for electrical work specifically to prevent flux corrosion at a soldered joint.
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/03/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

Body guy told me to user panel bond (two part adhesive). The stuff used to glue on replacement panels.

I used that stuff on my grill and it's great. dries to the perfect consistency for sanding... though jb weld might work better here.

I get the feeling that the OP needs a method on an already painted engine bay because he said he wants to touch it up with a brush..... to me that means that anything with a welder or sanding it out.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: What to Fill small drill holes with.. - 10/03/09 04:35 PM

Quote:

S
This guy soldered up his firewall.... See what can happen!!!

© 2024 Moparts Forums