Moparts

Cosmoline for preservation

Posted By: JohnnyBeGood

Cosmoline for preservation - 10/01/09 10:16 AM

I would like to know if cosmoline is a good product to preserve my blocks,cranks,heads! from rust and corrosion until I am ready to build which could be a while! Any other good stuff to use out there? Thanxs
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/01/09 12:00 PM

Quote:

I would like to know if cosmoline is a good product to preserve my blocks,cranks,heads! from rust and corrosion until I am ready to build which could be a while! Any other good stuff to use out there? Thanxs

Cosmoline is one of the best IMO but how long are you talking about storing the parts.

If only for a month or two i would just used motor oil or wd-40 on them and respray/oil themup every2-3 days.

If long term storage is what you got to do then i would cosmoline it but keep in mind you will need a machine shop to boil off the cosmoline when ready to put the motor together.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/01/09 12:06 PM

I don't see why not. I didn't think it was manufactured anymore. I spray inside and out with WD-40 and seal them up in bags. A company I used to work for sprayed their rebuilt rears and trans (gears) with a lithium grease then top coated it with a spray graphite before storing.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/01/09 01:58 PM

I spray with a silicone rust inhibitor. LPS its called. I bought a few cans a decade ago....I lathered up my crank, block, pistons, and bores with it....Carb spray it all when it comes time to build...It doesnt dry...always has a wet look and feel to it.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/01/09 02:48 PM

I mix solvent and motor oil in a cheap plastic spray bottle & saturate every surface. Works for me & is cheap.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/01/09 02:53 PM

wipe it down with straight motor oil. WD40 dries up and stops working after awhile....so wipe heavily with motor oil, bag it, and store it somewhere dry.

you'll be fine!
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/01/09 03:02 PM

Grease and a paint brush should last a lifetime
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/01/09 05:05 PM

I use Boeshield T9. Boeing developed it to store aircraft parts. It works great.

http://www.boeshield.com/why/why_t9.php
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/02/09 05:05 AM

Cosmoline is available at Mcmaster Carr in spray cans or gallon cans.
I can be removed with WD 40 or soapy hot water.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Cosmoline for preservation - 10/02/09 06:02 AM

I just coat with clean motor oil and seal in bags.
© 2024 Moparts Forums