Moparts

Lifter popping out of bore?

Posted By: 74RR

Lifter popping out of bore? - 09/25/09 11:19 AM

Ok so I solved my oil pressure problem. One of my lifters popped out of it's bore and bent my pushrod.
What causes this to happen,and how can I keep this from happening again?
Thanks!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Lifter popping out of bore? - 09/25/09 11:39 AM

To much cam for the valve springs causing coil bind or the valve spring retainers hitting the valve guide/seal. Over reving the engine are couple of things. Push rod mislocated in rocker on assembly.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Lifter popping out of bore? - 09/25/09 11:54 AM

Quote:

Ok so I solved my oil pressure problem. One of my lifters popped out of it's bore and bent my pushrod.
What causes this to happen,and how can I keep this from happening again?
Thanks!

You have it backwards..... the pushrod bent then
the lifter came out.... pushrods bend for a few
different reasons.... some were all ready stated

Re: Lifter popping out of bore? - 09/25/09 12:42 PM

I never had the engine rev over 4500 yet. And then heads are Eddies so I'm sure the springs should be able to handle the 509 cam.
Thanks for the replys!
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: Lifter popping out of bore? - 09/25/09 01:40 PM

Did you have the heads checked before install, I've heard of some problems with tight valve guides. That could bend a push rod. Also what valve gear are you running?

Re: Lifter popping out of bore? - 09/25/09 02:12 PM

No I never had them checked. I'm running the stock stamped rockers and stock valve train.Running the valves that came with the heads.
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: Lifter popping out of bore? - 09/25/09 02:42 PM

Maybe double check rockers installed correct, I know small blocks have off sets. Also if the blosk or heads have been milled, push rods could be too long. Just throwing stuff out there. Sorry about your problem, I know this season is is winding down quickly.
© 2024 Moparts Forums