Moparts

I hate my Holly fuel pump!

Posted By: slowpoke

I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/22/09 07:34 PM

While I'm upgrading things, I have to do something about my Holly electric pump. It's obnoxiously loud and I'm contemplating going w/ a mechanical. It's hooked to a 500 ci wedge in a '68 Charger that will mainly see street duty with maybe a trip to the track a year. For my purposes, would the Carter Super Strip pump be sufficient? (With that, a question: the description states in has 1/4" inlets - does that seem awfully small for a performance pump? I have 3/8" fuel line btw...)
If not this pump, is there one to recommend that would do the job?
Thanks!
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/22/09 08:21 PM

Any high perf mech pump should work good.

If the buzz is to loud then try the Carter, Eddie
or any one of the mech pumps. They can pump
enough fuel for a 600 H P or better motor.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/22/09 08:23 PM

Yes, that pump is too small for your application. Suggest a Holley HP125 or HP150. These are gerotor pumps - quiet and will deliver the fuel you will need for that 500 incher.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/22/09 11:16 PM

I replaced my loud Holley blue pump earlier this year with one of their new gerotor pumps. I measured its output to my carb and it was basically the same as the old pump. But it is a lot quieter and more of a whirrrr rather than a growl.
Posted By: farmington

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 12:05 AM

Back when Bob Glidden ran a plymouth Arrow in pro stock (and was the champ) he used two stock Holley blue pumps. With the proper fuel line and pick up these pumps will support a LOT of horsepower for a very reasonable price. Who cares if they make noise. At least you can tell they're running
Posted By: 69 Road Chicken

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 12:43 AM

IIRC, that Carter fuel pump has 1/4 female NPT fittings on it, not tube fittings. You need to put your own tube fittings on it. Local auto parts store should stock something you can use for your 3/8" line
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 12:48 AM

I have a new Mallory pump sitting in the box waiting to replace my holley blue pump when it dies. It's got 8 years of street driving and it's still going strong. They are noisey, but reliable.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 01:02 AM

Quote:

Back when Bob Glidden ran a plymouth Arrow in pro stock (and was the champ) he used two stock Holley blue pumps. With the proper fuel line and pick up these pumps will support a LOT of horsepower for a very reasonable price. Who cares if they make noise. At least you can tell they're running

That was many years ago.

His car is a street car, the noise sucks.
Almost any mech pump will do the job for most street cars.
69 Dart 440 is right on.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 01:25 AM

Quote:

What? Turn off the friggen fuel pump, I can't hear you!

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 03:30 AM

It does seem to work OK, but I can hear it clearly over my exhaust, and I'm running headers and some fairly loud flowmasters!!! The only bonus I can see running the electric (if a mech can indeed flow enough fuel to keep my motor happy) is the ability to prime the carb after it's sat for a while.
So is the consensus that the Carter (with it's 1/4 inch bottleneck female inlets) could handle this motor or should I go w/ one of the other's recommended??
Thanks for the replies!!
Posted By: Stanton

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 04:04 AM

The nice thing about the Holley is that when you turn it on you know when the bowls are full 'cause the tone changes.
Posted By: 383man

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 05:18 AM

Electric pumps are also better to fight vapor lock in hot area's. My buddies 68 Cuda 383 used to vapor lock on very hot days but never a problem when we installed an electric pump. The fuel is under pressure with the electric pump vs fuel under vacum being pulled up to the mech pump. I will take an electric pump any day over the mech pump. My sons holley red pump is 12 years old and still going strong and mine is 3 years old. Ron
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 05:22 AM

Quote:

So is the consensus that the Carter (with it's 1/4 inch bottleneck female inlets) could handle this motor or should I go w/ one of the other's recommended??

Its not for 1/4" fuel line. Its 1/4" NPT

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 12:48 PM

Quote:

Its not for 1/4" fuel line. Its 1/4" NPT

I understand that, my question is I've got a 3/8" pickup and line all the way to the carb and w/ the Carter, unless I'm missing something, it chokes down to 1/4" in and out of it. Seems like a mismatch, but I do see a lot of performance cars using them... The Holly mech uses 3/8 inlets and outlets I believe, but I don't know anyone who uses it. Hmmmmm.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 01:04 PM

I went through two of those pumps ( the first one leaked ). Yes, they are 1/4" NPT in and out. Mounted mine by the gas tank and ran a 3/8" line to a single 750 Demon. At the time my small block was making about 425HP. The pump would not keep the carb full through a full 1/4 mile pass. It would run out of fuel just before the lights. Went to a Holley HP150 geroter pump and I now go through the lights with 3-4 psi ( making considerable more HP ) . Just my experience, but I will never buy another vane pump. They're for kids!
Posted By: CJK440

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 01:12 PM

Just get a Mallory electric, swap it in place with the holley and be done with it. Keep the benefits of an elec pump but not hear it growling.

I had one on my Duster. 444ci 11.43 @ 120mph with the 110 street/strip version. You'd hear it just a little when you put the key on but thats it.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 01:19 PM

Mallory is a little pricey but worth it for the quiet street runnings!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 01:25 PM

I run the Holley black pump..loud yes,but i like it that way lets me know its on..
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 04:36 PM

You Run Flowmasters and you worry about a loud fuel pump???? Who cares at least you know its working as previosly stated and parts to repair are readily available. I get 7-10 years out of them and replace them keeping the old ones for spares etc.
Posted By: Harley

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 08:25 PM

Quote:

Holley pumps work.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/23/09 09:19 PM

On the Carter strip mechanical pumps, 1/4" NPT is the fitting thread size on the pump's inlet and outlet. This is NOT a restriction if you're running 3/8" fuel line. They are not 1/4" diameter ports on the pump. It's actually larger than 3/8" diameter hose.

A Carter mechanical strip pump (the 8.5 psi version) will feed your motor. I ran one for years on a 440 in my 'cuda that was running 11.40s at 117 mph. I "upgraded" to a Holley blue pump w/ -8 (1/2") fuel line and didn't see any difference in performance. CHIP

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/24/09 01:05 AM

Thanks a9sec70cuda, that makes sense!!
Think I'll go with the Carter. It's one thing to make a little noise, but when someone gets in your car and asks if that's the "flux capacitor" making that awful noise (that's my son's smart-alecky buddy!), it's time for a change...
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/24/09 01:41 AM

I know Labrat ran a holley mechanical pump in his GTX running low 11's. The carter mechanical is more pump than that.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/24/09 02:16 AM

I ran a stock pump supplemented by a Holley Blue for years. Cruised around running off the stock pump,flipped the electric on for racing. Worked great.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/24/09 04:07 AM

another vote for a mallory pump.

I have two friends who had that new holley pump and it went out,
one froze up completely..I think that new holley is made overseas.
Posted By: kmfdm

Re: I hate my Holly fuel pump! - 09/24/09 10:08 AM

I have a Holley Blue Pump as well. I cut up an old rubber floor mat and used it as an insulator between the pump and the area its mounted too. Quieted it down quite a bit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums