Moparts

Yet another fusible link wire question....

Posted By: Joe Grippo

Yet another fusible link wire question.... - 09/22/09 05:51 PM

So I need to replace the fusible link wire on our 65 Coronet it’s got a 440 with Mopar Electronic ignition. I replaced it once with a 16 ga. wire from NAPA and seems to have burned out again. Is 16 ga too small? I am thinking of trying 12 or 14 ga, anyone have an opinon?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Yet another fusible link wire question.... - 09/22/09 06:03 PM

stock is 16... it should be enough... are you sure you don't have a short around ?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Yet another fusible link wire question.... - 09/22/09 08:27 PM

The napa FL may have been defective but I would search for where/why too much current was flowing as opposed to using a larger one.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Yet another fusible link wire question.... - 09/22/09 08:57 PM

My '65 Coronet has a MP electronic ignition and it still has the ORIGINAL fuseable link and wiring. Absolutely no electrical problems. I did clean the firewall connectors though.

Re: Yet another fusible link wire question.... - 09/22/09 09:37 PM

Quote:

My '65 Coronet has a MP electronic ignition and it still has the ORIGINAL fuseable link and wiring.

More info...Ours HAD the original FL until a reversed +/- battery cable mishap fried it. I replaced it with another 16ga and it seemed ok for a few short trips then it appears to have burned again. Jumping it with some test leads would get it started again. I guessed the original to be 16ga. I thought I might have guessed wrong so was wondering if I went too small on the replacement. Are we thinking a possible short somewhere else is the culprit? Any thoughts on where to check first? Thanks for the replies.....

Re: Yet another fusible link wire question.... - 09/23/09 05:33 PM

So any ideas on what could have shorted out after the above battery scenario? The car did run fine when I put on the new link wire...at least for a few short trips....
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: Yet another fusible link wire question.... - 09/23/09 10:21 PM

I've seen quite a few postings about the bulkhead connectors corroding and causing problems.
© 2024 Moparts Forums