Moparts

another electrical bug,another bad ground?

Posted By: meepmeep70

another electrical bug,another bad ground? - 09/22/09 01:04 PM

insrument/dash lights come on when i press brake pedal,another ground problem or do i have something crossed? thank you
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: another electrical bug,another bad ground? - 09/22/09 02:15 PM

could go either way. Bad ground at the tail lights, but I would expect the turn signals to light up in the dash, not the dash lights.

Might have a crossed wire or melted one somewhere.

Do your brake lights actually come one?

You would have to check common points. Like the light switch.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: another electrical bug,another bad ground? - 09/22/09 03:07 PM

If one turn signal will light the dash lights, either right or left, that will help you locate which tailight to look at closely, socket or bulbwise.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: another electrical bug,another bad ground? - 09/22/09 03:11 PM

I would suspect crossed wire(s) rather than ground
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: another electrical bug,another bad ground? - 09/22/09 05:07 PM

check for bad contack at fuse block... fuse terminal loosen. The circuit could it be closing by a ground from another section positive source ( yes I know sounds some crazy but is true )

BTDT... I was getting once dome and map light dimmed on when pressing brake pedal and it was the fuse/terminal damaged, loosen, dirty etc..
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: another electrical bug,another bad ground? - 09/22/09 05:23 PM

I had a light show like that years ago on a Dodge Magnum. Oddly, a fuse check/replacement fixed the problem.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: another electrical bug,another bad ground? - 09/22/09 05:27 PM

Quote:

insrument/dash lights come on when i press brake pedal,another ground problem or do i have something crossed? thank you

It could be either. You could be creating a ground path through the switch, or you could be tying two circuits together.

I would try rigging up a temporary ground for the instrument panel to check. Usually there is a screw/bolt on the back of most Mopar panels that can be used for a ground wire from the panel to a screw or bolt on the dash or firewall/floorpan. Look for a screw that shows copper running up to the screw hole. If you have the factory service manual or aftermarket schematic diagram you can find the ground(s) in the schematic and verify they are present with an ohm meter.

You can put a 5 amp or less fuse in the wire if you are afraid of causing a
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: another electrical bug,another bad ground? - 09/22/09 07:31 PM

thanks i will try all the sugestions,i've been chasing some electrical gremlins,directionals work fine,but as soon as i have parking lights on the pass. directional just lights up bright with no flashing,drivers works good,lights off all work again.i'll report back after working on it some tonight. thank you guys
© 2024 Moparts Forums