Moparts

12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor?

Posted By: timinator

12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 12:21 AM

I installed a 12 volt Accel coil on my 440 Charger. I know the stock system runs 12 volts to the coil for starting, then 6 volts for normal running. My friend said with this coil, I should be running a constant 12 volts at all times. Is this correct and if so, how do I wire this up? Do I just connect the two leads that go through the ballast resistor and bypass it? It also has the MP electronic ignition conversion if this matters.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 12:37 AM

I don't think it's recommended if your still running the stock ECU.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 02:10 AM

which Accel coil?. Yes connecting the 2 leads on the BR will bypass it but most coils require a BR of some particular resistance.
Posted By: landon1

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 02:53 AM

i run an accel 12 volt coil, but i have an HEI/bosch type distributor that can run off 12 volts without burning up - to bypass, you would just connect the wires together - that's how i had mine hooked-up.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 04:43 AM

I bought an accel coil and ran my stock 70's electronic ignition ballast and burned it up pretty quick. The way I heard it is the ballast is needed unless you have an aftermarket current-limiting ignition system, ie msd, r2r distributors, etc. It's not the voltage that's the issue, it's the current thru the coil terminals.

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 03:47 PM

It's the Accel Super Stock 12V universal performance coil (part# 8140). So, shouldn't it be getting 12 volts instead of 6? Again, it's the MP electronic ignition conversion so I don't know if this limits current. I had the same coil on it and it burned out which is why I replaced it. It only had a couple hundred miles on it. Is too low of voltage going to burn it out?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 07:42 PM

Quote:

Is too low of voltage going to burn it out?

no, only more voltage than the coils' designed for will kill it after enough time. Less will give you inadequate spark (& potentially a miss) especially under load.
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 08:16 PM

I've never used a ballast resistor with an MP distributor and a good aftermarket coil. Never had a problem.
Posted By: Robbins

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 08:35 PM

Quote:

It's the Accel Super Stock 12V universal performance coil (part# 8140). So, shouldn't it be getting 12 volts instead of 6? Again, it's the MP electronic ignition conversion so I don't know if this limits current. I had the same coil on it and it burned out which is why I replaced it. It only had a couple hundred miles on it. Is too low of voltage going to burn it out?

This one says for Mopar

I was thinking about buying this one. I wonder if it's supposed to use the ballast?

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 09:48 PM

I contacted tech support at Accel about the 8140M which is supposed to be for Mopar. Still waiting to hear back.

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/22/09 10:29 PM

Quote:

I contacted tech support at Accel about the 8140M which is supposed to be for Mopar. Still waiting to hear back.

I did also by the website, but the last time I tried that I never got anything back. I did call them on the 59300 dizzy and found out it was a billet style. So I'm going to probably run that coil if it used the ballast.
Posted By: 1toolguy

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/23/09 12:24 PM

I don't remember the letter designation but the standard "universal" 8140 will give you fits! I know becasue we chased a problem for about a month. The universal 8140 will overheat your ignition module causing it to slowly limit your RPMs (the worst day we had was 1500!)
Posted By: cuda66318

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 09/24/09 11:26 PM

I've run the 8410 on our load bank, just thru it in the trash can not even close to a quality piece....note the label made in ???? come on Guess for me.

Just to answer your question it's designed to run at 6V through the ballast any more than that it will overheat and drop voltage, the 8410 is a points coil and not recommended for Electronic.

get the right stuff and quit wasting you money on all this witches brew http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 10/02/09 02:41 AM

I just put mine on tonight. So far so good. It's the 8140M (mopar) one. If it makes a difference or not. I'll post if it goes down hill from here.

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 10/02/09 08:35 PM

The old Accel coils were good. But now all imports. Lot of people having problems. I use an MSD Blaster coil. MP electronic dizzy with orange box. Blue HP mopar voltage regulator no ballast resistor. Never had a problem. Same set up on my Road Runner 4 years. Never skipped a beat.

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 10/03/09 02:24 AM

I'm hoping that I won't have a problem....it's made in china so we'll see. If it don't work I definitely post so more people will see what they are (Accel) is selling these days.

By the way when I was on the phone with them(Accel) they basically was saying that they build Mopar Performance's distributers for them.

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 10/03/09 02:25 AM

Even the MSD coil is imported. Nothing is made here anymore.

Re: 12 volt coil, bypass ballast resistor? - 10/03/09 02:29 AM

That doesn't surprise me. I have a Mopar Performance blaster two and 6al(MSD stuff all in black). It works flawlessly.

I'll be getting the Accel billet(ACC-59300) dizzy here in the next week or so. I'm hoping it's going to be worth a poop.
© 2024 Moparts Forums