Moparts

904 deep trans pan question

Posted By: 65Valiant

904 deep trans pan question - 07/07/08 10:52 PM

Hey all, I want to put this pan on my 904 tranny yet need a filter extension right?

the pan is 1 7/8 inches deep yet has these cooling fins on it

any help on the right filter extension would be great
thanks!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 904 deep trans pan question - 07/07/08 10:53 PM

No filter extension needed, the cooling tubes take up the extra depth.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: 904 deep trans pan question - 07/07/08 10:56 PM

IMO ... you can do much better with a regular MP pan. Those tubes are just a gimmick.

A separate trans cooler works much better.
Posted By: 65Valiant

Re: 904 deep trans pan question - 07/07/08 11:16 PM

great,
thanks guys!
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: 904 deep trans pan question - 07/08/08 12:45 AM

Quote:

IMO ... you can do much better with a regular MP pan. Those tubes are just a gimmick.

A separate trans cooler works much better.

Really?

Chrysler engineers thought it worked well enough to use it on heavy duty transmissions.

It will help keep the trans cooler.

I use one on the Dart Bracket car along with a cooler in front of the rad. I also use a trans fluid thermastat to help get the trans up to operating temp.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: 904 deep trans pan question - 07/08/08 01:45 AM

Really ? ....and what application was that? An OEM part ? ...what was the part# ?
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: 904 deep trans pan question - 07/08/08 01:51 AM

Quote:

No filter extension needed, the cooling tubes take up the extra depth.

I am running the same pan, and saw my engine temp drop nicely after installing the pan. The design is very sound, lots more surface area in contact with the oil and with the air outside, I don't think you could add enough fins (or long enough fins) to a cast aluminum pan to get the same heat transfer.
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: 904 deep trans pan question - 07/11/08 06:02 PM

We don't need no steenking part #.

It is standard equipment on my 89 Dodge 3/4 ton van with the towing package. This van is used to tow the race car to the track. 999 truck trans (heavy duty 904)

The one on the race car came from the junk yard. The trans was already out of the vehicle so I can't tell you what it was in.
© 2024 Moparts Forums