Moparts

too much valve spring?

Posted By: whitemtnelf

too much valve spring? - 07/07/08 10:00 PM

I picked up a pair of DC stage V heads that have 3 valve springs. Is this too much spring for a flat tappet cam? I don't have the budget right now to go with a full roller setup so I wondering if I can use a flat tappet in the mean while.

Thanks
Posted By: torkrules

Re: too much valve spring? - 07/07/08 11:06 PM

Quote:

I picked up a pair of DC stage V heads that have 3 valve springs. Is this too much spring for a flat tappet cam? I don't have the budget right now to go with a full roller setup so I wondering if I can use a flat tappet in the mean while.

Thanks

If the seated pressure gets up higher than 130lbs@1.80" installed height, the cam stands a good chance of getting smoked (unless your running an exotic lifter like a schubeck)
Posted By: BobR

Re: too much valve spring? - 07/08/08 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

If the seated pressure gets up higher than [Email]130lbs@1.80"[/Email] installed height, the cam stands a good chance of getting smoked (unless your running an exotic lifter like a schubeck)

I agree. It's probably 2 springs and a damper but that would still be a bit much for most flat tappet cams. Better to get the springs recommended by the cam manu and change them. -Bob
Posted By: whitemtnelf

Re: too much valve spring? - 07/08/08 01:52 AM

You're right, I looked at them again and it's 2 springs plus a damper. Can a machine shop tell me how much pressure the springs are exerting?
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: too much valve spring? - 07/08/08 02:01 AM

A "triple" spring does not always mean tons of pressure.
Posted By: BobR

Re: too much valve spring? - 07/08/08 02:42 AM

Quote:

You're right, I looked at them again and it's 2 springs plus a damper. Can a machine shop tell me how much pressure the springs are exerting?

Yes. If they have a spring tester. -Bob
Posted By: therocks

Re: too much valve spring? - 07/08/08 10:45 AM

If a machine shop dosent have a spring tester run dont walk away.Thats a basic tool for any machine shop.Takes them about 5 minutes to test pressure.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums