Moparts

Fuel Tank Pressure When Removing Gas Cap?

Posted By: Jopar

Fuel Tank Pressure When Removing Gas Cap? - 09/18/09 02:34 AM

I have 71 Plymouth and this car has an unusual amount of pressure when removing the cap. I will crack the cap for a couple of seconds prior to removing and after that I fully open it has a slightly shaken Soda/Pop bottle pressure release. Is this normal? Do I have the wrong fuel cap on the vehicle? Let me know your thoughts....
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Fuel Tank Pressure When Removing Gas Cap? - 09/18/09 03:05 AM

You sure it's pressure when you open the cap and not suction? A 73 tank was installed into my 74 and because the venting system is different it looks like the guy who did it capped off the vent lines. That caused it to build suction inside the tank so I simply changed to a vented, locking gas cap and no issues since.
Posted By: Jopar

Re: Fuel Tank Pressure When Removing Gas Cap? - 09/18/09 11:26 PM

Yes, You are right it is suction... I will try a vented cap. Do you know if this problem will cause any adverse affects?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fuel Tank Pressure When Removing Gas Cap? - 09/19/09 03:38 AM

I've had several vehicles way back that had that whoosh when you took off the cap (I assumed it was vacuum) & no starvation (but they were daily drivers not raced).
Posted By: farmington

Re: Fuel Tank Pressure When Removing Gas Cap? - 09/19/09 12:38 PM

You can also try to drill 1 or 2 small (1/8") holes in you cap. You shouldn't need much.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: Fuel Tank Pressure When Removing Gas Cap? - 09/19/09 02:50 PM

My buddy lost a couple pistons in his nitrous motor from fuel starvation, had a stock tank with a sump and the vent line was kinked. Pump couldn't push enough fuel, motor went lean, all done Mr. 351.
© 2024 Moparts Forums