Moparts

Wheel bearing adjustment technique

Posted By: SPWC

Wheel bearing adjustment technique - 09/16/09 07:15 PM

After finding out why my Dart was "Darting" to one side when the brakes were applied,im ready to reinstall the front drum.

When installing the large nut for the spindle,whats the proper procedure for getting a proper adjustment on the wheel bearings? My service manual says to tighten the nut to 70 inch pounds(5.8 ft pounds)while spinning the drum the opposite direction, but I can only find a torque wrench that starts at 120 inch pounds.

Im sure this cant be THAT complicated,im just afraid ill either over tighten or undertighten the wheel bearings. Is there a sure fire method of knowing when the adjustment is "right?"
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Wheel bearing adjustment technique - 09/16/09 07:26 PM

Wheel off the ground tighten it until there is just zero play then go a skosh more then clock the tin piece so the cotter key will go thru. The factory procedure is if you are adding grease to (I believe) a new bearing so in your case if you are greasing the bearings just tighten them up snug as you rotate the wheel then loosen & retighten to zero & a skosh more.
Posted By: D_C

Re: Wheel bearing adjustment technique - 09/16/09 07:26 PM

Snug.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Wheel bearing adjustment technique - 09/16/09 10:00 PM

The later FSM's say to tighten the nut finger tight.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Wheel bearing adjustment technique - 09/16/09 11:28 PM

I tighten until there is some drag, turn the wheel a few times to make sure everything is seated than back off a hole to put the key in. With new bearings and lots of grease, you may have to do it twice to get everything seated. When done, the wheel should turn freely with zero or near zero end play.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Wheel bearing adjustment technique - 09/17/09 05:15 AM

Quote:

The later FSM's say to tighten the nut finger tight.

That is right. Tighten the nut nice and snug while spinning the wheel then back it off and do it again. Then back it off again and tighten it as tight as you can finger tight. You need a small amout of play in the tapered wheel bearing and that will usually end up at about .002 bearing play. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums