Moparts

A body Front drum brakes acting strange

Posted By: SPWC

A body Front drum brakes acting strange - 09/16/09 12:47 AM

Took my 72 Dart to Tucson on Friday,about an hour trip both ways depending the speed you drive and traffic on the road.

The car performed well,but for some reason Started to notice the front brakes acting strange. When you press the brakes,you can hear a "Clunk" and the car wants to pull hard left.Dont know if it matters but this is a manual 4 wheel drum brake car.

I can kinda guess what the pull is all about,and that maybe the brakes need adjusting? But the Clunk,whats that all about?

Guess I should just take the front drums off and see whats what huh?

Oh I almost forgot to ask,whats the proper torque spec for the castle nut on the front hub when reinstalling the drum?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: A body Front drum brakes acting strange - 09/16/09 12:54 AM

Pull that RF drum & see whats up
Posted By: SPWC

Re: A body Front drum brakes acting strange - 09/16/09 01:26 AM

AAARGH...Pulled the drivers front drum,(thats where the pull was toward) and discovered a broken return spring.

It never ends with these old cars...does it? Well im off to go buy a hardware kit.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: A body Front drum brakes acting strange - 09/16/09 01:52 AM

It helps to do some diagnosis befroe posting questions. That way folks can give better heplful answers. It also means that in a lot of cases you won't have to post the simple questions in the first place.
© 2024 Moparts Forums