Moparts

leaking headers 440 HELP!

Posted By: jbcuda

leaking headers 440 HELP! - 09/15/09 02:50 PM

440 cuda with hooker header i have changed gaskets twice and used several different thread sealers and cant stop coolant leaks. any suggestions?
Posted By: JeffC

Re: leaking headers 440 HELP! - 09/15/09 03:22 PM

Quote:

440 cuda with hooker header i have changed gaskets twice and used several different thread sealers and cant stop coolant leaks. any suggestions?

Do you have an exhaust leak and a coolant leak, or just a coolant from the header bolts?

To seal the header bolts I like teflon tape.

With hooker and headman headers I have had to run two sets of felpro header gaskets to get them to seal.
Posted By: coronet1966d

Re: leaking headers 440 HELP! - 09/15/09 03:22 PM

maybe try some RTV on the coolant passage bolts
Posted By: jbcuda

Re: leaking headers 440 HELP! - 09/15/09 03:31 PM

The first time i had both leaking now it is mostly passenger side middle studs
Posted By: BradD

Re: leaking headers 440 HELP! - 09/15/09 03:48 PM

Use RTV for high heat apps.! Give it time to set up before adding coolant.
I can sell you gaskets that wont leak! PM me.
Brad
Dorn Autocraft
Posted By: Magnum

Re: leaking headers 440 HELP! - 09/16/09 02:10 AM

Teflon may work. I've read about it here more than once but it's not what it's made for.
Teflon is for lubrication pipe thread.

Header bolts are going to be a bit of a challenge to seal. Straight threads were never designed to seal anything.

The ultimate answer is exhaust studs. They have a shoulder in between the 2 threads that you bottom out and creates a seal. For extra insurance. I'd still smear high temp rtv silicone on the threads.

No garantees with rtv silicone on header bolts but it's worked for me 95% of the time and that last %5, just redo it. It'll seal
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: leaking headers 440 HELP! - 09/16/09 02:14 AM

i use that white permatex paste. Its great for sealing bolts
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: leaking headers 440 HELP! - 09/16/09 08:45 AM

Quote:

The ultimate answer is exhaust studs. They have a shoulder in between the 2 threads that you bottom out and creates a seal.

& you can trim the outer fine thread section for more clearance if that will enable you to use them. If you have enough threads for the nut to fit flush you're good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums