Moparts

newbie for cam install

Posted By: jimmy71demon

newbie for cam install - 09/15/09 02:01 PM

ok so my cam bushings r in, and im ready to install my cam. what do i need to know (do's and dont's) about doing this? also there is a bit of a residue like substance on the cam in some places. i was told to leave it there instead of rubbing it off with my fingers. should i jus apply the lube on top of this , or should i use some sort of cleaning agent?

thaks in advance
jimmy
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: newbie for cam install - 09/15/09 02:05 PM

what motor in car out motor assemble what cam??
I would clean it and apply lube to bearings in block and on cam once in block coat lobes liberally with lube before lifters go in!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: newbie for cam install - 09/15/09 02:37 PM

Before installing the cam coat the lobes liberally with cam lube.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: newbie for cam install - 09/15/09 03:19 PM

DONT pour oil over the cam after you lube it
Posted By: patrick

Re: newbie for cam install - 09/15/09 04:13 PM

find a long bolt to use as a handle on the cam

coat the lifter bottom only in lube, the rest in oil.

after the cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, and rockers are in, mark the top of the lifters, turn the engine over a few times by hand, and check to make sure they rotate.
Posted By: jimmy71demon

Re: newbie for cam install - 09/15/09 06:58 PM

Quote:

what motor in car out motor assemble what cam??
I would clean it and apply lube to bearings in block and on cam once in block coat lobes liberally with lube before lifters go in!

its a 340 block stroked to 416. the motor is out of the car and right now assembled up to the cam. the cam is a flat tappet from comp cam.

what should i use to clean the cam? i dont want to use a product that will make the lube not wanna stay on it at all....
© 2024 Moparts Forums