Moparts

Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts?

Posted By: 471Magnum

Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 05:08 PM

I've got a set of Crane adjustable ductile iron rockers that I plan to use on the 440 I'm building.

Is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't run stock rocker shafts? Do I need to buck-up for the hardened shafts? No roller bearings, so I don't see why I'd need hardened shafts.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 05:11 PM

I have an old set of Erson irons on my 440.Its had the stock shafts for 30 years.No problems.The new hardended shafts with grooves are better but not necessary.Rocky
Posted By: JerseyJoe

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 05:39 PM

If you're going with a larger than stock cam you might want to consider hardened shafts because your valvespring pressures will increase.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 06:00 PM

Check the shafts and make sure they aren't worn if you are reusing the original hi mileage shafts. Also check the fit of the rockers to the shaft , I ended up running a brake cyl. hone thru a few.

Make sure they all have the oiling hole that goes thru to the top , a couple of the new ones I bought didn't have those either , rehone the inside to remove any burrs.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 06:31 PM

Check the adjustment screws. I have found through experience that Crane used off shore parts and that the screws were not hardened. Take each screw and run the ball over a file. If you get metal they are junk. I run 273's with soldid lifters and always replace the screws with Smith Brothers screws. Real good insurance.
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 06:53 PM

Been runnin them on the 56 for 3 years with no problems..crane ductile iron rockers and stock shafts..cam lift 530..

Attached picture 5476253-larry556burnoutsmall.jpg
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 06:55 PM

Quote:

Been runnin them on the 56 for 3 years with no problems..crane ductile iron rockers and stock shafts..cam lift 530..

Nice looking car!!!
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 06:59 PM

Thanks dart4forte

Attached picture 5476265-larrys56rearsmall.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 08:18 PM

Here's a cheap alternative ... TRW shafts. They're thicker, better machined AND inexpensive. The problem with stockers is that they can go oval from overtightening, etc.. Once this happens the rockers will bind and gall.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Ductile iron rockers and stock shafts? - 09/11/09 11:55 PM

Dynamit my old man had a 56 almost like that.It was black and yellow.He paid 120 bucks for it with tax drove it 2 years then sold it for 35 bucks because it needed exhaust.Those were the days.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums