Moparts

'71 B Body Vapor Separator

Posted By: whitemtnelf

'71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 04:15 PM

The vapor separator that's behind the left rear fender is totally shot. I'm not having much luck locating one at a reasonable price. Has anyone come up with an alternate solution?
Posted By: D_C

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 05:23 PM

Are you talking about the Charcoal-Canister?

I still have mine in the garage somewhere, but it hasn't been IN the car/hooked-up for decades.

I still like to hang on to ALL my "Original-Equipment" in case I ever wanted to set everything back to factory-correct.

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 05:25 PM

No. There's a metal box with 4 lines coming out of it that is mounted behind the left rear wheel. The shield that protected it was gone and there wasn't much left of the separator
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 05:26 PM

The vapor liquid seperator tank thats in the back of the left rear wheel well on 71's and early 72's.
The one in your pic is a late 72 and 73 style.

Attached picture 5472218-Vaportank71B2.jpg

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 05:30 PM

That's what I've been trying to find. Any ideas for a work around in case I can't find one in good shape?
Posted By: furious70

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 08:20 PM

interesting, my 70 Fury has that tank inside the main fuel tank and has the separator in the trunk (just a tall vent with the 4 lines going into it).

Are you trying to restore it correctly or just have it run? You don't need it to run, you can just plug the extra ports for the separator in the main tank and run a vented cap like the pre-emission cars do, and not hook up the hose to the breather and carb.

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 08:35 PM

I'm building this car for fun so I'm not concerned with it being factory correct. should I use the line that goes to the charcoal canister for the vent?

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 08:38 PM

I think the easiest thing to do is plug all the vent ports in the tank and use a 1968 fuel cap for a RR or Coronet. You may need 1 vent with that as well, someone else will chime in. As long as the vent is higher than the tank, I think the line you're talking about would be fine for the vent, just bend the end over so no junk can get in.
Posted By: D_C

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 09:05 PM

You could check Junkyards, but may not find one in much better condition, but then again, worth a shot.

You might be able to substitute one from another vehicle or something more modern. I have a Plastic Vapor-Separator for the fuel-tank on my '79 CJ-5 Jeep.

I'm guessing autoparts stores and/or junkyards would be potential sources.

In any event, I wouldn't count on the Charcoal-Canister doing the job. Also, seems like there should be a better solution than going to an "open" or un-vented system like they had in '68. It could work, but there might be other problems.

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 09:23 PM

The only 'problem' is vapor out to atmosphere, which if you're very eco-friendly you might not want to do, but I'm in the camp that it's a non-issue on a collector car.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 10:15 PM

AMD sells the shields that the vapor seperator attach to - I have seen them , they look nice

The actual vapor seperator itself i have seen on Ebay and like mentioned junkyards and i will have to find or remember the guy that sells alot of 71/72 B body Parts

Click on link

http://www.autometaldirect.com/ListItems/MainCategory/Quarter.aspx
Posted By: WyleECoyote

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/09/09 10:38 PM

Plug all vents on the tank except one and connect that to the vent line that goes to the carb - OR -Plug all four vents and use a sending unit with a vent return and connect the vent from the carb to the sending unit.

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/10/09 01:35 PM

I did see a rusted separator on eBay but he wanted $100 - no way. I'll go with the vent line to the carb.

Thanks for all of the input.

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 09/10/09 03:02 PM

I sent you a PM. Did you get it?
Posted By: generallee6901

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 11/15/09 08:58 PM

I have one i will sell alot cheaper than the ones on ebay.If you are interested pm me or email me at generallee6901@verizon.net and i will send some pics and a price.Not looking to get rich just trying to get rid of all my extra parts from my 71.

Re: '71 B Body Vapor Separator - 11/16/09 12:00 AM

I have one for 40.00 but I guess he didn't want it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums