Moparts

CH4B Users...

Posted By: Ludington1

CH4B Users... - 07/05/08 03:20 PM

I picked up a used CH4B intake this week, and I was checking it out yesterday. On the passenger side of the intake in the heat-riser area there is a small hole down between the runners, maybe 1/8" in diameter. Is this open to anything on the inside, i.e. need plugged to prevent a vacuum leak?

The one I have here is a little different than the one pictured, but the yellow arrow shows the area I am asking about. Mine does NOT have the flat machined pad there with the two holes in it, just the runner for the heat passage and the small hole is there.

Thanks,
Darren

Attached picture 4532305-CH4B-1.JPG
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/05/08 03:25 PM

i have one but its at the machine shop getting the head gasket surfaces planed after i welded up a crack in the heat riser but i don't think it goes anywhere , you could for piece of mind just tap the hole and put an allen set screw in it .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/05/08 06:14 PM

I'm running that intake on my 59 Coronet; it has the flat pad like the one in your picture. On that version, at least, the hole doesn't go anywhere and doesn't need to be plugged.

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/05/08 06:27 PM

Thanks guys, I guess there at least 2 versions of the CH4B out there. I will post a pic and try to see if the hole is threaded already.

Darren
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/05/08 06:36 PM

Is this the hole you are referring to? Its a blank hole....

PS---my CH4B doesn't have that pad either

Attached picture 4532586-4-11-20068-45-04PM_200017_resid.JPG

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/05/08 08:19 PM

Yes, that's it! Thank you, any idea why the hole is there?

Darren

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/05/08 08:25 PM

Quote:

Yes, that's it! Thank you, any idea why the hole is there?

Darren

for some sort of choke thermostat assembly that you can't get anymore
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/05/08 09:14 PM

its for heat to a holley intergal choke. back then the holley 3310 was the common universal performance carb and it had a choke that needed a heat source.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/06/08 01:25 PM

Quote:

its for heat to a holley intergal choke. back then the holley 3310 was the common universal performance carb and it had a choke that needed a heat source.

don't forget to mill down the center plentum divider about 1/4" helps air flow thru out the intake
Posted By: Robbins

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/06/08 06:46 PM

Quote:

Is this the hole you are referring to? Its a blank hole....

PS---my CH4B doesn't have that pad either

Mine's exactly like that also, but mine also has the same size hole on the bottom of the intake in the heat crossover passage and if you put air to the hole on the bottom it will blow out that little hole on mine. Weird.....I blocked my heat cross over up on both sides with the valley tray though.

By the way, guys that are running them.......you like them? The intake that is?
Posted By: Black_Sheep

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/07/08 03:06 PM

Quote:

you like them? The intake that is?

I like it! The CH4B makes decent power and it's low enough to work with the factory Air Grabber set-up...

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/07/08 05:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I like it! The CH4B makes decent power and it's low enough to work with the factory Air Grabber set-up...

thats interesting , did you have to do anything to the air cleaner height ? member NASBackyard put one on the 440 in his 69 RR on my recomendation and the air cleaner hit his hood ???

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/07/08 09:11 PM

It will work fine w/ a factory air cleaner. I ran one w/ a 1/2 spacer in a 67 GTX and it worked fine.

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/07/08 10:01 PM

I got mine installed... with my Holley Street Avenger 770 and a 1/3" spacer I have it under the hood on my 69 R/T with Ramcharger hood. I am using a drop-base bottom to from Steve (Torred4speed), I will try it this weekend with the steel base and see how close it is.

Darren

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/07/08 10:09 PM

Quote:

It will work fine w/ a factory air cleaner. I ran one w/ a 1/2 spacer in a 67 GTX and it worked fine.

did you have a 69 440 air grabber air cleaner assembly on your 67 gtx ?
Posted By: gch

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/08/08 02:13 AM

I have one on my 496 in my c body.It runs great with it.More bottom end than my sd(heavy car)and still pulls hard on the top end.I shift around 5800 but the motor will pull well past 6000 so the intake can breathe.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/08/08 03:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly! It is nice intake and pulls just as well as the edlebrock performer, plus its low enough to sit under a stock hood. Also NO you don't need to plug that hole, it goes nowhere.

Mike

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/08/08 12:54 PM

donkey...John, not but it's a flat hood, so I'd think it'd fit under a 69 RR

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/08/08 01:07 PM

Quote:

donkey...John, not but it's a flat hood, so I'd think it'd fit under a 69 RR

donkey ...

A stock dual snorkel air cleaner that is not used with an AIR GRABBER setup doesn't sit as high as an air grabber air cleaner , so ASSuMEing its going clear the hood is not really a good idea , as I stated I ASSuMEd it would clear and a member now has a dent in his hood because of it .

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/08/08 01:44 PM

Well I still think it should fit.
Posted By: Black_Sheep

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/08/08 03:02 PM

Quote:

did you have to do anything to the air cleaner height ? member NASBackyard put one on the 440 in his 69 RR on my recomendation and the air cleaner hit his hood ???

No John, the air cleaner is unaltered. Maybe NABackyard had a 383 Air Grabber base The CH4B has been on my GTX since it was purchased in '82...

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/08/08 03:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

did you have to do anything to the air cleaner height ? member NASBackyard put one on the 440 in his 69 RR on my recommendation and the air cleaner hit his hood ???

No John, the air cleaner is unaltered. Maybe NASBackyard had a 383 Air Grabber base The CH4B has been on my GTX since it was purchased in '82...

Good to know , I want to say he sought out a 440 air cleaner , I thought it should fit as the isn't that much taller .
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: CH4B Users... - 07/08/08 05:24 PM

CH4b's are great intakes for a mild street engine, like any dual plane, they have thier limit. To me the plusses are: Better performance than a stock iron intake, ALLOT lighter than the stock intake, will fit under most hoods with factory air cleaners, and if you grind off the CH4B and other non factory looking digits, paint it orange, and you'll have an intake that very few people will even recognize as anything but an old original iron intake.....Stealth is good
© 2024 Moparts Forums