Moparts

cigarette lighter is not working, help

Posted By: 79machocharger

cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/05/09 04:25 PM

I just tryed pluging my cell phone charger into my cigarette light lighter and its not working in my 69 dodge charger. I've checked it with a test light and there's power in the center. Why would it not work when I plug the cord into it, any one have any ideas.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/05/09 04:32 PM

Make sure it's screwed in tight so it has a good ground. Some times when you push your plug in it loses the ground. Never have much luck plugging accessories in old lighter sockets. The one in my van is pretty much useless for accessories.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/05/09 05:00 PM

quite often I have to sping the plug on housing and get power
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/05/09 10:47 PM

I believe the old cigarette lighters are larger diameter. The cell phone chargers fit great in the new size, but sloppy and not getting a good connection in the old ones.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/06/09 02:28 AM

if it has power and ground, it's the socket..but make sure u have power when it's plugged in...sometimes the draw will not pull enough voltage through the fuse block then check for a bad connection at the fuse area
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/08/09 03:18 PM

I had the same problem trying to use my Garmin.
When I wiggled the plug, I could get it to connect, but it wouldn't stay. Is there a chance I could find a newer socket that would work better?
Jim
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/08/09 03:24 PM

Quote:

I believe the old cigarette lighters are larger diameter. The cell phone chargers fit great in the new size, but sloppy and not getting a good connection in the old ones.

Yeah mine doesnt fit tight and wants to wiggle around. When I hit a good sized bump it looses its connection and regains it, so the phone is constantly beeping. It gets the job done though.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/08/09 09:50 PM

You'd think by now that they'd come up with a better standard for 12 accessory plugs in cars. I need to add a few extra 12 outlets in my motorhome as one in the dash won't keep a good connection and it's right above my right knee when driving so stuff hanging down is a problem. Last time I went on a trip I brought my jumpstart battery which has a 12v outlet and just used that for the GPS.

Over the weekend, I got a couple 12v outlets out of a Caravan in the junkyard, hopefully they'll be better than the old style with the screw on back.
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: cigarette lighter is not working, help - 09/08/09 11:25 PM

I took it all apart and sandblasted the metal contact piece in the bottom and it works great now .
© 2024 Moparts Forums