Moparts

Mopar or no mopar?

Posted By: redraptor

Mopar or no mopar? - 09/04/09 12:35 PM

My buddy's father/son project has hit a snag. The car is a '96 Mitsy Eclispe with a 2.0 engine. He says it a mopar engine, I say no they have their own. The BIG problem however is they changed the timing belt and can't get it started. Before that process they removed the battery and underhood computer to weld on the shock tower and front end. Put computer back in but not battery and continued to weld and repair the lower and rear of the car.
Anyway the fuel pump wont run unless you jump it, and no spark. Timing seems ok but I didn't do a compression check. I say he fried the computer somehow welding. Any other ideas? Car ran fine when they pulled it in the garage.

Attached picture 5461492-mitsy1.jpg
Posted By: 74fldart

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/04/09 12:50 PM

its too bad he put the computer back in before they were through welding, welding will ruin the ecm. maybe you can have it checked somewhere.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/04/09 12:58 PM

Well, if you were twisting wires around, that might cause a short or an "open" somewhere.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/04/09 01:02 PM

I think your diagnosis is correct. As well as the type of engine.
I think the drivetrain was supplied by DSM (Diamond Star Motors).

I have a 90 laser with the 2.0l, I had the standard cracks in the exhaust manifold so I started it and warmed it up then proceeded to weld the cracks shut.
After I was done welding the cracks I couldn't get it started, that's when I started kicking myself for not disconnecting the battery...

Sometime we make expensive mistakes...
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/04/09 01:04 PM

ecm fried

also look to see if it has a cut off for the pump in case its in a crash,that kills the pump on FI set ups,I have had to reset them before after R&R the engine

worth looking

are the grounds hooked back up?

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/05/09 11:48 AM

Thanks for your comments. I have to confirm the bad news. He thought he was safe by leaving the battery disconnected. I said everything was grounded to the body including the battery. Oh well, life would be boring if you didn't learn something new once in a while even if it's the hard way!
Posted By: 69MOPE

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/05/09 09:15 PM

If you have no power to the fuel pump, check the ASD circuit. Those cars are known for ASD failures.
Posted By: superb70

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/05/09 11:23 PM

Quote:

If you have no power to the fuel pump, check the ASD circuit. Those cars are known for ASD failures.

As a Mitsubishi tech for 16 years it was very common problem and yes the motor & trans are Mopar built.

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/06/09 12:46 PM

What is the ASD circuit? Would that cause the relay not to engage the pump and no spark? Guess I lose the bet on engine manufacturer.

Attached picture 5465207-mitsy2.jpg
Posted By: superb70

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/06/09 10:32 PM

It is a Automatic Shut Down Relay that will kill spark and fuel. You should get a service manual to check the circut but most time the relay just bad!

Check Here!
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6721606/9799-mitsubishi-eclipse-Electrical-manual

Re: Mopar or no mopar? - 09/07/09 12:56 PM

Thanks for the link. We'll check it out today.
© 2024 Moparts Forums