Moparts

How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed?

Posted By: nd65

How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 11:55 AM

I've got a 1966 440 crank that is going to be mated to an 833 4-speed.

How can I tell if this crank needs drilled for a 4-speed or not. It has about 1 1/2" inch deep hole at the end of the crank already (flywheel end).

Thanks for any tips.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 12:52 PM

I think all the vintage steel ones were. sounds like yours is!
Order a pilot bushing and make sure it fits?
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 01:11 PM

do i smell a big motor going in that pretty '65 ? missed you at the Paddock, lew.

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 02:01 PM

Good suggestion about the test fit.

Good to here from you Lew. I am starting my build. I sold the stroker kit last fall and am doing a budget stock stroke build, but I am going 4-speed.

You know, I forgot all about the Paddock Show. Saturday was my sons birthday so we were up at Muncie for a while. Did they have a good turn out?

Take care.
Posted By: vdriver

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 02:44 PM

This is a steel 383 crank drilled for a pilot:

Attached picture 5457255-EOS361CrankPilot.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 03:05 PM

Some warnings from the past: You can't tell by looking. Some crank holes lacked ONLY about 3/8 or so of being deep enough. This is where the idea of cutting off 4 speed shafts got into play, as you don't need to cut off much more than the champher on the front of the shaft.

My recollection is that if a standard pilot will fit, it's OK. Even this has to be carefully done, because many holes were "rough bored" just not to full size. If the pilot bushing "just doesn't want to go in" then it's undersize. You used to be able to buy undersize pilot bushings.

Only way I know of to find out for SURE is to come up with an accurate measurement from the flange on a known "stick" crank and measure hole depth.
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 07:15 PM

Ive never personally had a problem before with the hole not being deep enough but many,many times i found the pilot bushing hole was not finish reamed out so the bushing wouldnt fit.If you use a late model roller pilot bearing that fits in the outer bore on the crank you will eliminate that problem.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 07:30 PM

i have an undersized pilot bushing in my 440 and it worked great. i got it from NAPA i think it was about $1 like a regular pilot bushing.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/02/09 09:07 PM

On the other hand, my very first 383 (from an automatic car) had the right size finished hole for the pilot bushing, but was drilled about 3/8" too shallow for my 4-speed!

I just deepened it the required amount with a 9/16" drill.

So anything is possible - check it first... and I also recommend the roller bearing that fits in the crank register.

-Charles

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/03/09 12:26 AM

vdriver, that looks like my crank.

The hole is about 1 3/4" deep with 2 different diameters. The diameter nearest the flange is about .875 and 1" deep. It then steps down a little bit.

Any got a part number for the roller bearing?
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/03/09 12:30 AM

Mancini has them
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/03/09 03:09 AM

Quote:

Ive never personally had a problem before with the hole not being deep enough

Posted By: lewtot184

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/03/09 01:05 PM

Quote:

Good suggestion about the test fit.

Good to here from you Lew. I am starting my build. I sold the stroker kit last fall and am doing a budget stock stroke build, but I am going 4-speed.

You know, I forgot all about the Paddock Show. Saturday was my sons birthday so we were up at Muncie for a while. Did they have a good turn out?

Take care.

turn out was about the same as last year. there was an absolutely beautiful '65 plymouth belvedere 2dr post there. this car is a must see; red, black interior, big block, 5spd. the guy who owns it may be in your neck of the woods; lives around Pendleton.
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/03/09 04:58 PM

I think you can get the roller bearing from any parts store.If you get a bearing say for an 01 dodge ram v-8 it would be correct. (keep your receipt as Im not 100% positive about this)
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/03/09 06:04 PM

Quote:

Ive never personally had a problem before with the hole not being deep enough but many,many times i found the pilot bushing hole was not finish reamed out so the bushing wouldnt fit.If you use a late model roller pilot bearing that fits in the outer bore on the crank you will eliminate that problem.

Never say never. My 76 440 crank does NOT have a pilot hole at all! The later style roller bearing would be my only option to run a 4-sp.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/03/09 07:46 PM

If the crank is finish reamed for a bushing the bore will measure .9375". Cranks that are only pilot drilled but not finish reamed will measure about .8125".

Re: How to tell if 440 crank is drilled for 4 speed? - 09/03/09 08:44 PM

John, thanks so much for the numbers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums