Moparts

440 backfiring problem?

Posted By: Anonymous

440 backfiring problem? - 08/31/09 05:40 PM

I have a stock 440, w/ an edelbrock torker 2 single plane manifold, w/edelbrock 750cfm carb, starts great (both cold and hot), rev's up fine but when i put it in gear and take off it wants to backfire thru the carb, almoast like it want's to load up, is this a problem with the single plane manifolds? should i be using a duel plane?
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 440 backfiring problem? - 08/31/09 08:02 PM

My question as always is where did you plug the vacuum advance line ported or manifold vacuum.
unhook vacuum advance and plug carb. set timing up to where it works good and drive it around a bit
12 to 14 initial and 36 total??
forget the vacuum advance for a while. then later plug it in to ported vacumm as per the instructions with your carb and tune out any ping that may arise with a 3/32 allen wrench in through the vacuum port on the distributor vacuum canister turning CC to reduce it!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 backfiring problem? - 08/31/09 08:21 PM

Not a fault of the single plane. Check the accelerator pump tip in/duration. what vac at idle & what PV. Ported or manifold?
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: 440 backfiring problem? - 08/31/09 09:50 PM

1. lean condition?..carb issue/vac leak
2.timing off?,chain slipped,dist turned,ect..set at 35 total
3.bent/leaking intake valve? compression test all cyls for differentials
4.other valvetrain issues?bent pushrod,broken rocker
5.check for crossfiring in wires/cap?
that will give ya something to do,good luck!

Re: 440 backfiring problem? - 09/03/09 10:52 AM

Dodgem: Well i have not had the oportunity to drive it the way i should yet but, i did like you said and disconnected the vacume advance on the dist. and it seems like the backfiring problem went away, at least as far as i can tell in the shop, i am still not exactly sure of what i am supposed to do from here, but (thanks to you) i think i may be on the right track! thanks for the info.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 backfiring problem? - 09/03/09 12:44 PM

Quote:

i am still not exactly sure of what i am supposed to do from here,

I'd suggest checking timing/rotor phasing
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 440 backfiring problem? - 09/03/09 06:18 PM

all timing and carb setting and initial driving should be done with no vacuum advance. then it goes on ported vacuum any ping and or backfireing should be tuned out with 3/32 allan wrench in through vacuum port on distributor CC to reduce advance.
As robert say checking the rotor phasing sure can't hurt!

Re: 440 backfiring problem? - 09/04/09 01:37 PM

thanks alot for the "schooling" you guys are better than those "HAMB" guys!
© 2024 Moparts Forums