Moparts

fixing a tapped hole.....

Posted By: KatFysh

fixing a tapped hole..... - 08/24/09 11:28 PM

On a Holley. How would you go about repairing a hole in the main body on a Holley 850? I stripped one out that holds the fuel bowl on. I'm not sure what size they are, but can the main body even be repaired or is it junk?? I'd like to repair it so that I can sell it. I had to buy a brand new one in a pinch..
Posted By: MNobody

Re: fixing a tapped hole..... - 08/24/09 11:47 PM

If theres enough material there, helicoil it, if not fill the hole with JB weld maybe and re-drill and tap? Maybe plug the hole with the next size bigger bolt SAE or Metric, cut off the bolt flush, drill and tap to the next size smaller than the carb bolt, grind down the threaded end of the carb bolt and rethread it to the next smaaler size to fit the new thread in the main body.
Posted By: D_C

Re: fixing a tapped hole..... - 08/24/09 11:57 PM

Previous suggestions sound good.

Another possibility, you might also be able to fit a "nut" on the inner-edge of the Main-Body near the exterior of the venturies. With a long enough bowl-screw, you could thread into it.

Maybe you could epoxy the nut in place, to make it semi-permanent.
Posted By: A70Runner

Re: fixing a tapped hole..... - 08/25/09 12:29 AM

Summit racing... Holley Heli Coil Kit
Posted By: 10sec440

Re: fixing a tapped hole..... - 08/25/09 12:38 AM

I had to heli coil mine because the threads pulled out. If you're gonna sell it that would be the way to go. Being pot metal, my heli coils eventually pulled out. So I got some brass set screws, drilled the hole and put the set screw in, then drilled and tapped the set screw for the bowl screw thread. Worked like a charm.
© 2024 Moparts Forums