Moparts

A modern radio with out the modern look

Posted By: kieron_kohlmann

A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 04:44 AM

I want a FM radio but dont want to fork out big buck for a original one. I also dont want to go and put some modern radio in the center of my dash. any suggestions?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 04:57 AM

I've had the idea in my head of taking an old under-dash aftermarket 8-track player and gutting it and sliding my CD player inside it. Then make a door with a clip or spring so the 'face' of the 8-track player can flip up and down to reveal my cd player behind it. I already have an old pioneer 8-track player sitting around and its dimensions are big enough to hold a modern cd deck inside it. Would have that period correct look with a modern deck stuffed inside it. It's on my todo list, whenever I get around to that....
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 05:02 AM

Quote:

I want a FM radio but dont want to fork out big buck for a original one. I also dont want to go and put some modern radio in the center of my dash. any suggestions?

Keep an older radio in the dash, and install a modern radio under the driver's seat. You can get new ones with a remote so you don't have to 'see' it to operate it.

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 05:05 AM

yeah i was either going to get just some plain am radio and not hook it up or a delete plate and cover up the hole. I like the idea of under the seat or in the glove box. what about speakers? i dont want them to be noticable on the package tray like the people that get some big huge thing sticking up bacvk there.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 05:15 AM

What make/model/year are we talking about?

If it has a package shelf, you can mount the speakers under the shelf and use a factory type perforated package tray so you don't see the speaker or the ugly speaker grilles.

Dash speakers gets harder, but there are solutions.

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 05:22 AM

ive got a 69 superbee and i ordered the package tray with the speaker grills in them. who makes speakers that will fit under them?
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 05:33 AM

Any standard 6x9 speaker will work in the back package tray.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 09:26 AM

Turnswitch.com
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 05:39 PM

How about sending your radio in and having it reworked with modern AM/FM internal stuff. Looks like an OEM unit from the outside with tadays technology. I think it's something around $350.00 of so to do it, and they can install a mp3 jack too....
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 06:53 PM

Quote:

How about sending your radio in and having it reworked with modern AM/FM internal stuff. Looks like an OEM unit from the outside with tadays technology. I think it's something around $350.00 of so to do it, and they can install a mp3 jack too....

Turnswitch.com...
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 07:21 PM

Something like this?

The story of this radio mod

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 07:26 PM

Quote:

Something like this?

I likes. Who done it and how much? Did you get a mp3 player input jack on it somewhere?

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 07:30 PM

I added a link to the details at the bottom of the above post.

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 07:50 PM

Nice job on it. Looks like a great result but a lot of effort.

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 09:07 PM

Thanks, “a lot of effort”, granted, maybe, relative to the total effort that went into this restoration, a drop in the bucket. As well, it may not be for the electronically faint-of-heart.
Posted By: RokketRide

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/24/09 09:10 PM

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/25/09 12:42 AM

Maybe more trouble than you want but I made a console and dropped a stereo in it with the 5 1/4" speakers. 6x9s went under the package tray. The console is removable and you'd never know it was there.

Attached picture 5438481-100_7206.JPG
Posted By: moparcanuk

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/25/09 01:36 AM

Quote:

I had this done to the AM radio in my 69 GTX so that it now has AM and FM. Looks stock from the outside but modern electronics inside to include an MP3 jack. Then I installed modern speakers front and back.

I then downloaded 400 classic rock hits from the 60s and 70s to my MP3 player and can cruise all day long to REAL music.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/25/09 02:20 AM

Hunt down an old FM convertor and put it in the glove box.Hook it up to your factory AM radio.
Yard sales,flea markets,etc.
Both of my C's have them.

Some are on E bay,too
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDIOVOX-...sQ5fAccessories

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/25/09 03:53 AM

Quote:

Maybe more trouble than you want but I made a console and dropped a stereo in it with the 5 1/4" speakers. 6x9s went under the package tray. The console is removable and you'd never know it was there.

Looks like a nice job on it. I always wanted an armrest and cupholders in my car...
Posted By: pro451bee

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/25/09 05:16 AM

You got a parts list for that cool console ? 1/4 inch plywood ?
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/25/09 08:42 AM

Those vintage FM converters are indeed the cheapest way to get into some FM. E-bay is full of them , and you can find them usually for under $ 50, often times "new" in the box .

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 14 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/25/09 03:23 PM

Not sure I would describe them as “modern” by any means however. The FM converters are just as (if not more) antiquated as the factory radios.
Posted By: challenger70

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/25/09 03:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like a nice job on it. I always wanted an armrest and cupholders in my car...

most of the ones I see look like a kid made them in arts and crafts class.
Posted By: edbux

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/26/09 04:40 AM

I just use an MP3 player with an amp mounted in the trunk with 6x9 speakers. I got a 20 ft cable with the small earphone plug on one end and rca jacks on the other. Stock AM radio sits in the dash.
Posted By: 375inStroke

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/26/09 04:54 AM

Why would you listen to the radio. Most entertaining talk radio is gone now, and Rush is on AM, so just use an iPod, or something with what you really want to listen to on it.
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/26/09 03:09 PM

Quote:

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

I don't think retro sound works in the Mopars.

They are the best setups for classic cars.
I just put one in the 68 Chevy CST and the
sound is amazing. It has extra RCA hookups
for a 10 rack Sony CD player and two amps.
The best part is the USB port, that will
play up to 999 songs. I don't think I even
know 999 songs.
Posted By: Moparsky

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/27/09 10:37 PM

The RetroSound units have have a 1-piece nose (size = 1 1/2" x 3 1/2")for "Classic Sound" in chrome face only & the "Model One" in black or Chrome face.

Not sure about other Mopars, my B-body has two openings (AM dial & push buttons), not sure how to deal with that & the bezel for each model.

It's my understanding their units do not have CD-changer control.

I do love the infinitely adjustable shaft knobs.

They do offer versions of the "Model One" for
- 71-75 Roadrunners &
- 67-69 Darts

John
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/28/09 01:53 AM

FLUSH RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Moparsky

Re: A modern radio with out the modern look - 08/28/09 01:55 AM

What ? Oh, I see !

Rush is cool !
© 2024 Moparts Forums