Moparts

TQ surges, tranny has no power...

Posted By: etek

TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/23/09 02:14 AM

Hey guys,
Finally got my Challenger (318, Performer intake, Thermoquad carb) running and took it out for a once around the block....when idling in the shop, it would idle OK at ~600rpm, then increase to 1200 for 10-15 secs. Then it would go back to normal idle. Mix screws set at 1.5 turns each....(from the 2.5 initial).

As well, when I put it in gear, it goes forward, but I can't get it to go fast!!! The rpm icreases, but the speed doesn't!! Just kinda idled it around the block, tried a few pumps and pulled it back in to figure it out....

Thanks much!

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/23/09 09:08 AM

Bump...someone gotta have some opinions!
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/23/09 09:46 AM

Ummm TQs are junk as you're finding out, and your trans is messed up.... That about sums it up .

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/23/09 02:20 PM

Ahhh, wrong-o Coke-head kid....I've had TQ's that have run better, producing more HP than anything else out there!! Once they are tuned properly, they perform extremely well -but it's not for the tuner kid crowd, so you'd better stick with Holley!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/23/09 02:45 PM

If you want people around here to help you you need to curb the attitude. TQs either work real well or not at all. Your's sounds bad. Rebuild it or replace it. Have you bothered to check for vacuum leaks?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/23/09 03:12 PM

Quote:

If you want people around here to help you you need to curb the attitude.

the post he got wasn't helpfull at all and more disturbing really, so I understand the reaction.

in another note:

I'm agree about some vacuum leak around. Check for that first

Tranny.... could converter get damaged ?

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/24/09 03:37 AM

Quote:

If you want people around here to help you you need to curb the attitude. TQs either work real well or not at all. Your's sounds bad. Rebuild it or replace it. Have you bothered to check for vacuum leaks?

I've been on here for a while and his is the first stupid/crappy reply I've had - yours is the second. If you don't want to help, don't reply.

Thanks to the USEFUL replies - figured out there where a couple sneaky (tube to charcoal can not tight, one base bolt loose) vaccuum leaks and resest the timing - runs like a charm now!!!! TQ's are awesome!!

As for the tranny, was totally due to a fluid lock. Once I got it running the fluid level went way down. Filled it up and now she ROARS!!
Posted By: MY340

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/24/09 12:23 PM

Quote:

Ummm TQs are junk as you're finding out, and your trans is messed up.... That about sums it up .

Hey Coke,
Wow you were a really big help on this thread! Now insert foot in mouth.

etek,
I'm a TQ fan as I used to run a tweaked 850cfm TQ on my old 340-4spd Duster.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/24/09 12:58 PM

Etek you have gotten your last help from me. Enjoy!

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/24/09 05:25 PM

Quote:

Etek you have gotten your last help from me. Enjoy!

When was the last time you helped me??

Re: TQ surges, tranny has no power... - 08/24/09 05:44 PM

I should have tried this:

Engine Start Fluid
© 2024 Moparts Forums