Moparts

Purpose of the Window on a distributor

Posted By: Pyper70

Purpose of the Window on a distributor - 07/02/08 09:51 PM

Just a random question as I sat there looking at my Distributor tonight.....Whats the purpose for this so called "GM Window"
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Purpose of the Window on a distributor - 07/02/08 10:21 PM

Back when distributors had breaker points, that window is where you adjusted them on a GM--with an allen wrench.

IN FACT, before I finally "went" electronic back then, I once shorted a GM dist for my 340. Unfortunately, the , uh, 'machinist' who did the work on the tang got it so far off center, I'd a' been as accurate myself, using a file and a hacksaw. Still got the thing, somewhere
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Purpose of the Window on a distributor - 07/02/08 11:49 PM

Interesting.....thanks for the enlightenment....
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: Purpose of the Window on a distributor - 07/02/08 11:53 PM

It was a great system. Just slap your dwell meter on and set the points with the engine running without all the trial and error/feeler gauge crap on the other makes.
Posted By: 78D150CLUB

Re: Purpose of the Window on a distributor - 07/03/08 12:57 AM

28 degrees if I remember my old Belair setting correctly. Set dwell with the key, set idle and timing and you were away.
Posted By: mopardad

Re: Purpose of the Window on a distributor - 07/03/08 10:38 PM

Quote:

28 degrees if I remember my old Belair setting correctly. Set dwell with the key, set idle and timing and you were away.

Actually it was 28 - 32
Posted By: 78D150CLUB

Re: Purpose of the Window on a distributor - 07/03/08 11:20 PM

That was the range, but the old 283 liked 28 right on, always ran best that way.
Dunno why.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Purpose of the Window on a distributor - 07/04/08 11:34 AM

I still have ay least 3 of the flexible adjusters for them.I used them almost every day at work before.One I have is almost brand new.Best thing about them is you can pull the allen and turn it around and you have a nice flat screwdriver to agjust carbs.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums