Moparts

Think my carb is too big

Posted By: skep419

Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 03:22 PM

1969 Dodge Dart GT 360 out of a 78 chrysler new stock cast crank, stock rods and bolts , speed pro hyper 4 valve relief pistons, comp xe284 hyd cam, mopar ductile rockers studed with crane adjusters (dont ask why I had to upgrade), ede heads mild port, ede air gap, 750 street hp dbl pumper, carter high flow mech pump, headman bomber headers, MSD PRO BILLET dist 13 base 32 total, msd 6al box, 727 2800 midwest converter, b&m mega shifter, 8 3/4 3.91 richmond

I have only been able to get 4-6 mpg. Plugs look golden brown but while idling in gear at a stop sign it starts to load up. While cruising in town lower rpm it pops out the exhaust.

It has no hesitation or stumble at wot

I have a 600 dp laying around wondering if its worth a try and what jets I should start with.

4150hp 750 dp I curently am using has 68's and 74's with a 4.5 pv
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 03:27 PM

IMO, a double pumper is a waste on a streetable car. YOur cam isn't really big enough to require one.

You have to tune the idle circuit and I am not talking about the idle mixture screws here. There are innumerable books out there on how to tune a Holley, get one, read it, ask us questions till you understand it then buy a wideband O2 sensor and tune the Holley.

You have to understand that ANY double pumper is going to have a substantially richer out of the box idle circuit than a vacuum secondary Holley, it's how they are built. When you use a double pumper in it's factory intended role it works. When you use it in your application it doesn't work so great.

You are going to have to tune the idle feed restriction and idle air bleeds to fix this.

Oh, a 750 might be a bit too big for a 360, but it isn't so far off that it isn't useable with some tuning. you might get a bit better mileage and a hair crisper low speed out of a 600-650, but the 750 will likely improve your topend. Depends on what you want.
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 04:35 PM

the carb isnt too big. one, unless you milled the block a bunch with those pistons or shaved the heads down your compression is under 8.5:1, plus that cam is a little big for that low of compression motor. where is it installed at? overcammed low-compression motors wont produce good fuel economy.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 05:24 PM

4-6 mpg ? .. your JETTING is tooooo "big"(fat) ..

Something like this needs a 1850 Holley or bester yet ...a TQ.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 05:27 PM

4-6 mpg is not due to having a 750 dp. You have other problems. Check the float level. Sounds to me like it is trying to flood.
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 05:30 PM

Skep419, is the powervalve the right one? is it opening at in gear idle? that would relly kill mileage. Just for comparison, my 750 DP equipped 340 dart with 727 & 3:91 gears gets at least 10 mpg.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 05:39 PM

Have you checked for a blown PV? You really need to rule that out. Your jetting doesn't sound that fat for the carb, although a 750DP isn't ideal for your car. A reduction in jetting might help the problem but I think its a partial bandaid for whatever else might be wrong. Might you have 50cc accelerator pumps on it? (instead of 30's, at least on the primary)
Do you drive with a reasonably steady foot?--DP's can kill MPG if the driver is a constant pedal modulator!!!
Thats a pretty big cam if you don't have say at least 9:1 compression to match.
Is your 4-6 mpg number accurate or might it really be 6-8? Is your odometer accurate or does it read 'slow'?

just random thoughts
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 05:59 PM

13* initial with a xe284 isn't going to cut it. Add at least 5* and limit mechanical to get your total.

My guess, it's loading up because the throttle plates are open too far at idle.

Got more than one 360 with a xe268H running 750dp's with no problems. One gets 20mpg on the highway with 2.76-2.9x gears
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/22/09 06:22 PM

Bump the timing up some. 32 total leaves you some room to go up in the initial and stil be OK on the total.

a 750 DP comes with 72/80 jetting. You are way under that now. I would like to see what it does with the stock jets as I bet you have the idle mix screws way out right now, and might even have the idle speed set high. Resetting the timing should help that some.

Do you have the vac advance hooked up?

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 03:47 PM

Quote:

4-6 mpg is not due to having a 750 dp. You have other problems. Check the float level. Sounds to me like it is trying to flood.

float level good.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 03:49 PM

Quote:

Skep419, is the powervalve the right one? is it opening at in gear idle? that would relly kill mileage. Just for comparison, my 750 DP equipped 340 dart with 727 & 3:91 gears gets at least 10 mpg.

The vacuum jumps from around 3-5 at idle. But I watched the holley video and they said to have the car in gear while you read the gauge. So the 4.5 I'm running could be wrong.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 03:54 PM

Quote:

Have you checked for a blown PV? You really need to rule that out. Your jetting doesn't sound that fat for the carb, although a 750DP isn't ideal for your car. A reduction in jetting might help the problem but I think its a partial bandaid for whatever else might be wrong. Might you have 50cc accelerator pumps on it? (instead of 30's, at least on the primary)
Do you drive with a reasonably steady foot?--DP's can kill MPG if the driver is a constant pedal modulator!!!
Thats a pretty big cam if you don't have say at least 9:1 compression to match.
Is your 4-6 mpg number accurate or might it really be 6-8? Is your odometer accurate or does it read 'slow'?

just random thoughts

I have 30's all the way around. I normally don't have a steady foot but I cruised a full tank out on the highway and the mpg didnt change.

The compression figures out to 9.3
My speedo is slow by 10mph never thought of that

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 03:56 PM

Quote:

13* initial with a xe284 isn't going to cut it. Add at least 5* and limit mechanical to get your total.

Got more than one 360 with a xe268H running 750dp's with no problems. One gets 20mpg on the highway with 2.76-2.9x gears

Throttle plates are not open to far at idle. Primarys have 1/8" breathers

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 03:59 PM

Quote:

Bump the timing up some. 32 total leaves you some room to go up in the initial and stil be OK on the total.

a 750 DP comes with 72/80 jetting. You are way under that now. I would like to see what it does with the stock jets as I bet you have the idle mix screws way out right now, and might even have the idle speed set high. Resetting the timing should help that some.

Do you have the vac advance hooked up?

Idle mixture screws are all just under 1 1/2 turns.(best vacuum reading)

I forgot my dis took a dive a few months ago. The MP is now a MSD pro billit.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 05:06 PM

After checking for fuel leaks, check float levels, needle/seat sealing, make sure float does not have a pin hole or crack letting fuel in and sinking the float, and power valves (a leaking/blown power valve will cause problems.) If you are using a mechanical fuel pump check fuel levels with the engine at a higher than idle RPM. I watched a Chevelle on the chassis dyno that seemed to run/idle fine, then under acceleration it was blowing fuel out the carb vents.

Anyhow a 750 carb is a good size for performance, but a lower RPM street driving you will be in the transition circuit area alot. This area can be adjusted by changing the idle restriction in the metering block, but a smaller carb will put the carb into the main metering circuit sooner because it will take a larger throttle angle to cruse at the same speed.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 05:16 PM

The 750 DP is a good carb and will work fine for you. I have used them on stock 383's and Eddy headed 440's. First if the speedo is 10 mph slow that a big factor right there. Heck years ago a tech used to put smaller speedo gears in to let the cust think they got more miles to the gallon. Fix the speedo first. How does it run while driving it. You can fine tune everything but most DP carbs are not that far off on a combo like yours. Ron
Posted By: ohiodemon

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 05:59 PM

is your vacuum reading 3-5 in. if so, something is wrong.
i run that cam in my 360 and i'm getting 11 in.
my engine is 10.4 with 172 lbs. cranking cr.
are u pinging at full throttle ?
i'd bump the timing up first.
Posted By: superb70

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/23/09 08:07 PM

Bump the base timing to 16 deg. which will then increase your vacuum reading quite a bit. Then set idle speed to 850rpm then fine tune the carbs idle mixture screws for best vacuum.(you may have to re adj. idle speed a bit) After you are happy with the vacuum reading you can lightly tap the primary accelerator pump arm to squirt a little of fuel into the primary bore,if there is no change in rpm your set, if rpm raises your a bit lean if the rpm drops your a bit rich.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/24/09 05:58 PM

Quote:

Bump the base timing to 16 deg. which will then increase your vacuum reading quite a bit. Then set idle speed to 850rpm then fine tune the carbs idle mixture screws for best vacuum.(you may have to re adj. idle speed a bit) After you are happy with the vacuum reading you can lightly tap the primary accelerator pump arm to squirt a little of fuel into the primary bore,if there is no change in rpm your set, if rpm raises your a bit lean if the rpm drops your a bit rich.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/24/09 08:22 PM

I will get flamed on here for this , but I have always been a big believer in people over carbing street machines...

I just watched the Edelbrock video..

They suggested there 500 cfm carb for 350 and under.. 600-650 cfm for 350 to 454 cubes..

The Edelbrock video said to use anything larger ONLY for a much larger engine or a race specific only engine...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/24/09 08:31 PM

Quote:

I will get flamed on here for this , but I have always been a big believer in people over carbing street machines...

no flames from me I totally agree. I've noticed on those CFM formulas that they are based on a max rpm and 100% volumetric efficiency which ain't happening. I had an eddy 600 on a stock 440 & I lightened the weight on the secondary butterfly assy to come in earlier & it was awesome.
Posted By: JimG

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/24/09 08:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You've got lots of good advice above, but I'm concerned with your response here. If you know how to check the relationship between the throttle plates and the transition slot at idle, that's fine. If you don't, I'll be more than happy to post a picture that illustrates it.

More than likely, after you follow the advice above and get the timing worked out, you'll be close.

As stated above, the idle and transition circuits can be leaned out if that's what it takes.

Minivan and Rapid Robert:

Regarding the overcarbing discussion, yes the factory put...what?...625 CFM carbs on 440HPs, and those factory engineers were no slouches.

OTOH, I was walking around the pits at Watkins Glen in the late 80's and came across a Firebird with a Buick V6 running a Dominator! The crew chief was in a talkative mood, so I obliged him with questions, the first being "Wassup with a Dommy on 250 cubic inch engine"? He said the Dominator worked out better for them, not because of quantity, but because it provided better quality (presumably better distribution...I don't know). If you followed the formulas, that V6 would have to turn stratospheric RPM - even assuming 100% VE, to work out to 1050 CFM.

Anyway, I never forgot that and think about it ocasionally.

We now return you to the rich 750 DP!

Jim
Posted By: minivan

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/24/09 09:38 PM

JimG,

Interesting post on the Dommy.. They are certainly impressive carbs in looks and size.. Again was this a race car??

My 4327S Carter AFB that came on my 67 375/440 is supposed to be a 750CFM by my research.. If you have read any of my posts ( rookie trying to dial in his carb) I have been learning alot..

OT here... I just checked vacuum the other day and it had 11-12 inches at idle in gear.. I had the pink springs ( metering rod springs) in it and switched to the orange springs. What a difference.. I might even try the yellow as I am going for crusing MPG.... OK, enough off topic here...
Posted By: superb70

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/24/09 11:02 PM

One thing you must realize is Holley Carb flow ratings are "dry flow" meaning air only and carbs in the real world flow both fuel and air!! So a Holley 750 cfm carb in actuality might only wet flow 690-700 cfm which will work fine on a modified 360ci engine.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/25/09 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You've got lots of good advice above, but I'm concerned with your response here. If you know how to check the relationship between the throttle plates and the transition slot at idle, that's fine. If you don't, I'll be more than happy to post a picture that illustrates it.

More than likely, after you follow the advice above and get the timing worked out, you'll be close.

As stated above, the idle and transition circuits can be leaned out if that's what it takes.

Minivan and Rapid Robert:

Regarding the overcarbing discussion, yes the factory put...what?...625 CFM carbs on 440HPs, and those factory engineers were no slouches.

OTOH, I was walking around the pits at Watkins Glen in the late 80's and came across a Firebird with a Buick V6 running a Dominator! The crew chief was in a talkative mood, so I obliged him with questions, the first being "Wassup with a Dommy on 250 cubic inch engine"? He said the Dominator worked out better for them, not because of quantity, but because it provided better quality (presumably better distribution...I don't know). If you followed the formulas, that V6 would have to turn stratospheric RPM - even assuming 100% VE, to work out to 1050 CFM.

Anyway, I never forgot that and think about it ocasionally.

We now return you to the rich 750 DP!

Jim

Both primary and secondary trans slots look like little squares (not rectangles).
The primary plates have been drilled 1/8"

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/25/09 06:53 PM

Quote:

Both primary and secondary trans slots look like little squares (not rectangles).
The primary plates have been drilled 1/8"

OK, now I understand, and that sounds right. Carry on!

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/26/09 02:48 PM

timing is now at 35 total 16 base. Idles at 1000 out of gear 850 in gear. Does not load up anymore at stop signs. vacuum is at 8-9 bouncing around out of gear around 5-6 in gear.

Idle mix screws are 1 turn out and if I hit the squirter idling the car dies.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/26/09 04:44 PM

ok 750DP is fine. I ran one on less of a 340. try this.. 28 squirters, 74 front 80 rear jets, 6.5 PV. turn the mixture screws all the way in and back them out 1 turn, start the car take it to 1000 rpm, turn screws until you get the best vacuum reading. Set total timing w/o vacuum advance to 36* total at 2400rpm. Back the idle back down to 1k adjust mixtures again for best vacuum, take it for a romp.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/26/09 05:36 PM

Quote:

You have to tune the idle circuit and I am not talking about the idle mixture screws here. There are innumerable books out there on how to tune a Holley, get one, read it, ask us questions till you understand it then buy a wideband O2 sensor and tune the Holley.

Ordered How to Super Tune a Holley should be here friday. Should be a master buy Monday.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/26/09 06:11 PM

Skep419, where are you at this point?

1 turn out on the idle mixture screws, and (I'm assuming) still a stinky idle? And since you only have 1 turn on the idle mixture screws, I'm assuming (again) that they're quite sensitive?

You might go beyond 16* initial timing just to see if the engine likes it. Don't hammer on it b/c you'll have too much timing at higher RPM, just putt around the block and see if it helps.

If the idle is still rich after that, it's time for larger Idle Air Bleeds and/or smaller Idle Feed Restrictions, as previous posters said. Long term, both of these mods require drilling and tapping on your carb. Short term, you can install a properly-sized wire in the IFR to partially block it. Shout back if you're interested, as there are plenty of people here who can walk you thought it.

Jim

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/27/09 06:03 PM

Quote:

Skep419, where are you at this point?

1 turn out on the idle mixture screws, and (I'm assuming) still a stinky idle? And since you only have 1 turn on the idle mixture screws, I'm assuming (again) that they're quite sensitive?

You might go beyond 16* initial timing just to see if the engine likes it. Don't hammer on it b/c you'll have too much timing at higher RPM, just putt around the block and see if it helps.

If the idle is still rich after that, it's time for larger Idle Air Bleeds and/or smaller Idle Feed Restrictions, as previous posters said. Long term, both of these mods require drilling and tapping on your carb. Short term, you can install a properly-sized wire in the IFR to partially block it. Shout back if you're interested, as there are plenty of people here who can walk you thought it.

Jim

At this point I am waiting for the book. Still stinky idle. Anything over one turn on the idle mixture and it loads up.
I have a 600 dp holley and a 750 vac sec ede that I am going to try out until I have read the holley book a couple times.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/29/09 06:52 PM

Ok so I read the book. I dont think I want to mess with the air bleeds (drilling anyway). They talk about the wire trick and that sounds like it would be worth a try. I got the vacuum up to 11 at idle now by adj the sec transfer slot a tad.
It no longer loads up in gear at stop signs. zero hesitation. still stinks a little but I think I can live with it. Idle mixture screws still get the best vacuum with 1 turn out.

There is still a popping coming out of the exhaust at cruise speeds less then 2500 rpm. I will have to read up on the main circuit tricks.
(maybe a little fat on the primary side or power valve still to big)

I need to get a longer vacuum hose so I can cruise with the gauge in the car

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/29/09 09:13 PM

Quote:

still stinks a little but I think I can live with it.

We're Mopar guys, mon! We settle for nothing less than perfection!

Seriously, the wire trick is great because it allows folks to modify their carb without getting that queasy feeling that comes along with taking a drill to it. You probably already figured this out, but the downside is, once you've done all your pi R squared math and figured out the wire size to reduce the passage by 6%, you put the wire in just a few degrees off from parallel and all you math goes out the window, as the wire now has a larger footprint. It must, must, must be quare in the hole. I've seen people give up and just "live" with a badly tuned carb because the wire trick didn't work for them.

The better solution (if you have the stomach for it ) is to drill and tap the idle feed restriction (after carefully measuring it) to 6-32 and drilling a 6-32 X 1/8 set screw to the desired size and screwing it in. See pic.

The advantage is you bypass the kludginess of using wire.

All you doing is drilling out a pressed-in brass orfice, and slightly enlarging the hole beyond it, which is soft and easily drilled.

Anyway, it's something to consider. It's not a big deal, but I can certainly understand an unwillingness to attack a perfectly good carb with a drill!

Jim

Attached picture 5449127-DSC_003020percent.JPG

Re: Think my carb is too big - 08/30/09 04:24 PM

well that doesn't sound so bad. I will let you know how it works.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/01/09 11:29 PM

The wire is in and it helped a little but now it pops out of the carb when I roll into the throttle. Doesnt skip a beet when I mash it. still likes the mixture screws no more than 1 turn out. Idles in gear between 3-5 vacuum, out of gear at 11 and cruise speeds at 15.

If I give it a accell pump shot while idling out of gear it bogs and dies. So it must still be way rich.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/01/09 11:36 PM

Quote:

Jim

Good advice there.

Is it into the mechanical advance in neutral and then backing that advance out in gear because of the RPM drop? Happens all the time.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/02/09 01:57 AM

Quote:

The wire is in and it helped a little but now it pops out of the carb when I roll into the throttle. Doesnt skip a beet when I mash it. still likes the mixture screws no more than 1 turn out. Idles in gear between 3-5 vacuum, out of gear at 11 and cruise speeds at 15.

If I give it a accell pump shot while idling out of gear it bogs and dies. So it must still be way rich.

Something is fishy about that!

What size is your existing IFR and what size wire did you put in it?

Since you got a Holley book and read it recently you probably already know this, but just in case you somehow missed it: IFRs can be located in two different places in Holley metering blocks. The one I posted a pic of is the location where you'd find it in older Holley carbs. Some newer ones (and most clones) have the IFR mounted higher and farther outboard. Is it possible you choked the wrong passage? Just a thought.

If you block the IFR with wire that effectively reduces the IFR by, say, 10% you should see positive results on the mixture screws, assuming the problem is IFRs that are too big.

If you can tell me what size IFR you've got now, I can probably get you in the ballpark. I'd need to know the size of the Idle Air Bleed, too. That's probably what we should have done before you tried the wire. Hindsight, 20/20, etc.

Jim

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/02/09 02:16 AM

http://www.holley.com/0-82751.asp
http://www.holley.com/36-240.asp
currently reading up on these.
This is the carb. The blocks looked the same as your picture.

I can take it apart tomorrow and do some measuring.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/02/09 11:13 AM

OK, I didn't realize you had a Street HP series. For some reason, I was thinking it was a "classic" double pumper with press-in air bleeds, etc.

I've never worked on one of these carbs, but I've worked on a bunch of "regular" HP Holleys, and every one of them had the high-mounted IFR. Keep in mind that there will be an orfice in the location illustrated in the pic I posted, it just won't have an brass restrictor pressed into it.

The pic I posted was to illustrate the techniqe of converting the metering block to screw-in IFRs, and not necessarily to say "put wire here". Sorry if it confused you.

Look back through your book and find all the illustrations of metering blocks you can find. See if you can find one that shows the alternate location for IFRs. Then, using numbered drill bits (the shank end) find out which orfice has the restrictor pressed into it, and what size it is. If it's larger than .040", you're probably barking up the wrong tree.

I don't have a block laying around right now that has the IFR in the alternate location. If I did, I'd post a pic for you. Perhaps someone else would post one. Hint, hint!

Jim

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/03/09 05:22 PM

Well there isn't a pic of a different block in the book. Maybe I will just take a picture and post it later tonight.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/03/09 09:14 PM

Ok, that will be good.

The 2 blocks are really the same block. It's just that some blocks have a brass resitrictor pressed into one particular orfice, and the other metering blocks have the restrictor pressed into a different orfice. The both orfices exist in both metering blocks - it's an easy thing to miss.

I'll troll the net and see if I can find a picture for you since no one else posted one.

Jim

EDIT: Found a pic and illustrated the IFRs...

Attached picture 5460239-IFRsillustrated.JPG

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/03/09 09:39 PM

I have the one on the left.

I must not have got the wired squared in the holes good enough.

O my god I put the metering blocks on the wrong ends I have got to be the dumbest MF alive I guess im not the car guy I thought I was GO
V-TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/03/09 10:12 PM

Quote:

I have the one on the left.

I must not have got the wired squared in the holes good enough.

Could be.

Whats size is the existing IFR and what size wire did you put in it? That would be helpful to know.

About a month ago I wideband tuned a 750 vac secondary in street 351C in a Mustang. About the same size engine as yours, similar camshaft, same size carb. That combo ended up with a .032" IFR and a .075 IAB. I'm guessing that would be a good place to start in your case. If your IFRs are much bigger than that, you'll need the appropriate sized wire to make it close to the equivalet of that (just as a starting point).

Jim

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/04/09 12:20 AM

Quote:

O my god I put the metering blocks on the wrong ends I have got to be the dumbest MF alive I guess im not the car guy I thought I was GO

Snort! You didn't have to admit that, ya know!

Ask me about the time about 20 years ago when I put a 440 intake manifold on backwards. Yes, it will bolt up!

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/04/09 07:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Snort! You didn't have to admit that, ya know!

Ask me about the time about 20 years ago when I put a 440 intake manifold on backwards. Yes, it will bolt up!

I left the sight up at work and a fellow coworker decided to be funny. Yes I did have the jets backwards.

Re: Think my carb is too big - 09/11/09 05:29 PM

I am going to try a little heavier spring in the dist tonight and a larger bushing. Hopefully the mechanical advance will kick in at 1200 full in at 2500. It will idle around 16-18
© 2024 Moparts Forums