Moparts

Spot weld cutter

Posted By: 68SportSatvert

Spot weld cutter - 08/22/09 01:57 AM

Anyone try one of the new style spot weld cutters that is an air drill? I'm wondering if they work any better than the roto broach/Blair style cutters.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/22/09 04:53 AM

I'm not sure what the "new style" is? Got a web address or picture?
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/22/09 12:17 PM

ive never seen or used anything better than a rotot broach,,,are you talking about the drill that has a c clamp on it and its all self contained? iirc thats huge money, ive sen it never would shellout the cash for it to try, the rotobroach in a low rpm drill works great!
Posted By: 68SportSatvert

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/22/09 12:44 PM

Here's the link.

http://www.tptools.com/Product.aspx?display_id=2574
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/22/09 12:55 PM

ive used that style cutter before without much luck, i like that you can set the plunge depth tho, put a rotobroach in that and you would have a serious tool!
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/23/09 06:19 AM

I like the rotabroach style much better. The only bad part about the Blair cutters is they are brittle and around $9 each or more. Lately I've been using another annular cutter, from Harbor Freight of all places, and it works excellent. Around $4 with a two sided cutter and adjustable tension centering pin. Much less brittle and the cutter even works with a couple teeth broken off.
HF cutter bit
Posted By: Chucklehead

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/23/09 06:27 AM

Posted By: mkdart

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/23/09 05:34 PM

If you can sharpen a drill,make it look like this and you will never use one of those cheesy cutters again. Mike

Attached picture 5435445-Parts11.jpg
Posted By: nomore65BelvJim

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/24/09 02:41 PM

nothing "cheesy" about an annular cutter, its a purpose designed tool. I dont like having to modify a drill bit to "make it work" for a job it wasnt intended for. The annular cutter only removes a ring of steel so it cuts faster and cleaner. Its like a hole saw as opposed to a drill. The way your dill bit tip is cut makes it much more likely to "wander" than the annular cutters.

By all means use what you like, but I've found that the cutters work 100x better for me
Posted By: 6pkaar

Re: Spot weld cutter - 08/24/09 05:33 PM

Quote:

Lately I've been using another annular cutter, from Harbor Freight of all places, and it works excellent.

I picked one of those up the other day...... now my favorite spot weld cutter! I was tired of breaking a tooth off of the Blair cutter and the bit would be done. Now I just have to get over my brother-in-law making fun of me for getting stuff at Harbor Frieght.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums