Moparts

Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd

Posted By: '64 Belvedere

Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 01:21 AM

I have a '64 Belvedere 4dr and was wondering what was the best motor/tranny combo to put in this. I don't know what tranny is in it now or what rearend. If anyone knows what came stock or how to check to find out. I know I need a new k member and better brakes. ZAnything off the top of your heads would help.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 01:26 AM

/6 all the way.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 01:58 AM

I was thinking something bigger. Had someone say I wouldn't be happy because the car is to big for the motor. I was thinking 318, 383 or 426 and what ever tranny worked best with that motor.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 02:00 AM

440 or 400(451)
Posted By: 440fied

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 02:01 AM

Make it a big block 4 speed sleeper. Put a 440 with a 65 or newer 4 speed transmission and a set of dog dish hubcaps and go out and annihilate the camaros and mustangs. You'll need to swap the /6 k-member to a V-8 k-member, 273, 318, 361, 383, 426 wedge cars all used the same k-member, /6 k-frame is /6 only.

Also cars like your Belvedere and other 1964 B-bodies like Savoy, Fury, Sport fury, and Dodge Polara's came with the 8 3/4 rear axle. Which is a good axle except for the tapered end axles, but you can get a new set of axles from Moser, Strange, Mark Williams, Yukon, etc... any number of companies. Swapping to the later bolt-in axles makes swapping gears and doing any kind of brake repairs a lot easier.

Is your car a pushbutton automatic, 3 on the tree or four on the floor?

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 02:08 AM

It is a push button on the dash. I think it is a three speed. What about doing brake conversions on the rear axle?
Posted By: ahy

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 02:15 AM

If you do a small block, I'd suggest 360. The extra cubes and torque would be welcome. Plus if you want to hot rod it, a 360 is a better starting point.

For brakes, the front's do 70% of the stopping. An upgrade to discs up front would get you a lot more benefit than changing the rears. Look at MOPAR Action's web site for brake choices using later year OE parts or Master Power Brakes for pre-packaged kits.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 02:22 AM

You would leave the rear brakes stock and not change them to disc with bigger engine. I would most diffinately do the fronts.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 02:33 AM

If you switch from auto to 4 speed you need to find manual trans pedals, z-bar, downrod, frame side z-bar bracket, bellhousing side z-bar bracket, bellhousing, transmission, shifter rods-levers-mechanism, shifter handle, and a 4 speed floor hump. Cool thing is Brewers performance has all of these parts in stock. Check out their website at http://www.brewersperformance.com/

If you decide to leave the car pushbutton automatic you can either find a big block pushbutton transmission or use a later trans with the Imperial services conversion cables http://www.imperialservices.net/ to operate the transmission or block off the pushbutton on the dash and go to an aftermarket automatic trans shifter on the floor, from B&Mwww.bmracing.com or Hurst. www.hurst-shifters.com/

Definately upgrade the fronts to disc brakes if you decide to do the rears after you swap out the tapered axles out of your car for some later style bolt-in axles you can either go with the original 10" drums or upgrade to 11" drums or convert to disc brakes from a bunch of different companies check out dr.diffs website at http://www.doctordiff.com/ or scarebird classic brakes makes disc brake conversion kits for a bunch of different cars including older mopars http://www.scarebird.com/

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 02:46 AM

Was going to use the brake conversion from scarebird. I was wondering if they were any good. It sounded like you just by the brackets from them and get the rest of the stuff you need at NAPA. Does that sound about right. What cars would have had a big block push button tranny in it?

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 03:18 AM

Quote:

What cars would have had a big block push button tranny in it?

any BB car and you would want a 64 trans to work w your pushbuttons. EDIT 63-65 car
Posted By: 383man

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 03:59 AM

Quote:

440 or 400(451)

I agree with this. Any bigblock will run good with a small amount of work. I did a 440 as they are not to hard to get and then put the 426 badges on the eng as you could get the 426 Max Wedge or street 426 in them in 64. Ron

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 04:05 AM

You are correct, you can use the scarebird brackets and napa parts for their conversion.

You can get a big block 727 pushbutton transmission also called a cable shift transmission from big block powered 63, 64 or 65 B body cars and C-body cars like Chrysler Newport, Newyorker, 300 and Imperials.

The best transmission to find is a 65 cable shift 727 trans. It has a slip yoke on the end instead of the companion flange or ball and trunion joint like the 63 and 64 transmissions do. The slip yoke will handle a lot more abuse than the 63-64 companion flange will. 65 cable shift trannys are getting hard to find and expensive, it might be cheaper to use a later big block 727 trans and the Imperial services cable conversion kit in your car.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 05:23 AM

I actually found a guy selling a '65 bb727 tranny with the cable set up from a Imperial for only $200. I guess I better jump on it fast. I guess at this point the question is which bb to go with... a 383, 413, 426 or 440.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 05:36 AM

Quote:

I guess I better jump on it fast. I guess at this point the question is which bb to go with... a 383, 413, 426 or 440.

Real fast & get the TC if you can. 383 is too small, 413 I think needs special pistons??, not sure on 426 wedge availability. 440 or build up a 400 I think a 64 VB will let you run it(the 65 trans) w your 64 pushbuttons but Kunkel will know for sure on that & that way it'll be an easier swap & look/function stock

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 02:47 PM

So what is the best set up for a 440. Trying to do it on not a ton of money so any good places to pick up cheap parts. Was going to put together motor myself but send it out for any machine work.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 03:57 PM

Quote:

So what is the best set up for a 440. Trying to do it on not a ton of money so any good places to pick up cheap parts.

I see forged cranks for $125, someone posted about 2 good deals for rods, a company that rebuilds them w milodon bolts and secondly scat rods for ~$150 iirc. KB pistons to get quench & your desired CR. Used intakes/carbs are plentiful, Stock electronic ign w recurve & a MP chrome box.
Posted By: Mr Belvedere II

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 07:15 PM

Quote:

So what is the best set up for a 440. Trying to do it on not a ton of money so any good places to pick up cheap parts. Was going to put together motor myself but send it out for any machine work.

If you on the cheap, you may want to re-consider swapping out the /6. Cheap being relative, I have not found a way to install a RB in my 67 Belvedere for much under $2000 and I already have an engine, trans and K-Member.

That being said, you will find it much easier to swap an A engine to this car without changing the K-member - I am fairly certain Schumacher makes a /6 to A mount for a B body.

In the end: What do you want from the car?

If it were mine I would put a very mild A engine in it and paint it to look like a vintage police cruiser.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 08:27 PM

Correct me if I am wrong guys......an Ebody 8 3/4 will bolt in?

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 08:54 PM

I did call Schumacher and they said I had to change the k member for a slant 6 b body motor change. I think $2000 isn'tbad to swap... I was thinking almost double, not worried then.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 09:34 PM

Definately buy that 65 bb727 if he only wants $200 for it. Make sure it has never been stored outside in the rain, pull the bottom pan off and inspect the inside for rust and/or any massive damage. Also try and get the kickdown linkage, very important and hard to find by itself. You can reuse your shifter cables from your car, the 65 cables won't work unless they are for a console and you convert your car to a console, which in a four door would be kind of cool.

Like Rapid said a 440 or 451 (400 motor with a 440 crank) would be the easiest to build and make good torque and horsepower. Start with a forged crank and pistons for years of dependable service, and a good foundation for later modifications. You can find good deals every once in a while here on moparts in the big block classified section or http://www.racingjunk.com or greedbay. With $2000 to $4000 to spend, you can easily swap to a big block, just keep your eyes open for good deals.

Quote:

It would be kind of a tight fit, you would have to pull the leaf springs out an inch on each side (b-body spring perches are 44" apart and e-body are 46" apart).

If you want a drop in rear axle assembly for the 63-64 b-bodies (overall width is 60 7/8"). Then my first choice would be the 65-67 b-body rear axles since their width is 59 1/2" (you gain about 5/8th of an inch clearance on each side, this may not sound like much, but when you go to cram a fat tire in the rear wheel wells every 1/8th is needed, unless you are going to split the rear wheel tubs and move the springs in) and then my second choice would be the 68-70 b-bodies their width is 60 1/8" (almost the same as the 1964 width).

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/22/09 09:47 PM

The 727 is on a running car that he is parting out. It should be good but I would have to wait until he sells the motor.

I saw somewhere, I can't remember where, someone talking about different mc's to use for a brake upgrade. There were 4 different ones to use. Talking about his brakes being like stepping on a grapefruit. Can anyone help me find it or know the 4 mc's the thread listed.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/23/09 12:50 AM

Quote:

It would be kind of a tight fit, you would have to pull the leaf springs out an inch on each side (b-body spring perches are 44" apart and e-body are 46" apart).

If you want a drop in rear axle assembly for the 63-64 b-bodies (overall width is 60 7/8"). Then my first choice would be the 65-67 b-body rear axles since their width is 59 1/2" (you gain about 5/8th of an inch clearance on each side, this may not sound like much, but when you go to cram a fat tire in the rear wheel wells every 1/8th is needed, unless you are going to split the rear wheel tubs and move the springs in) and then my second choice would be the 68-70 b-bodies their width is 60 1/8" (almost the same as the 1964 width).

OK, why was I thinking this car is a C body?

The '60 Belve is a C and the E will drop right in.

Re: Replace my /6 with what motor/tranny for my '64 Belvd - 08/23/09 12:58 AM

BTW you might want to sell your slant tranny at www.slantsix.org it is probably a B body length. Longer than the A body models. Most guys over there are A body people.

BTW Did I steer you to a good place?

Welcome
© 2024 Moparts Forums