Moparts

Where to buy vacuum pump

Posted By: scoutsr2

Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/17/09 01:42 PM

It gets a little scary when you are cruising around and then one time you hit the brakes and nothing...the 499 stroker in my Charger is just not creating enough vacuum to keep up with the booster. Anybody know where to buy nice electric vacuum pump?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/17/09 02:31 PM

I put this one on the 72.
Posted By: scoutsr2

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/17/09 08:09 PM

SMACKDOWN!! Ignorance is bliss...I was not expecting to be quite so pricy. Oh well...another couple of hunskies go in to the money pit.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/17/09 08:22 PM

Yeah, neither was I when I went looking
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/17/09 08:39 PM

If you are willing to go thru the yards, you can get one off of a car like a Cadillac.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/17/09 08:51 PM

Toyota Turbo Supras have them also. For the same purpose (brake booster and cruise control actuator). I have one sitting on my bench right now (the pump, not the car).
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/17/09 11:22 PM

Do you have a vacuum reserve canister installed ???
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/18/09 02:01 AM

Quote:

If you are willing to go thru the yards, you can get one off of a car like a Cadillac.

Anybody know what year Cadillac or Supra had the electric vacuum pumps? I have the same issue as the thread starter.
Posted By: topside

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/18/09 02:19 AM

Also '90s & up Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes...my '97 Mustang GT has one. That's what I did for my drag car, pulls 5".
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/18/09 04:09 AM

Quote:

Anybody know what year Cadillac or Supra had the electric vacuum pumps? I have the same issue as the thread starter.

Turbos on the Supras didn't start 'til '87. Look for an '87 to '92 Turbo Supra. Look for a VIN with xxxMA71xxx in it, not MA70. Later generation Supras ('93-'98) probably had them, also, but the cars are rare and junkers even rarer. On the '87 to '92s, the vacuum pump is attached to the cruise control bracket. Make sure you get the harness pigtail also, it's a goofy Toyota thing that I couldn't find at a parts store.
Posted By: black64

Re: Where to buy vacuum pump - 08/18/09 04:17 PM

What kind of vac are you seeing at idle? I bought a pump from master power brakes, pricey also, but found out that a reservoir worked for me. I have a pump if you need one since I'm not using it. I ran the car with it a couple times before adding the reservoir. The pump needs to be mounted close to the booster so they run less. (pm me if you want the pump I'll give you a deal))
© 2024 Moparts Forums