Moparts

Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid

Posted By: Real-Fury

Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 01:09 PM

Overfilled the the trans in 64 Fury. What's the best way to suck out or remove the excess. I really don't want to drop the pan although it's now dripping from somewhere on the garage floor after a short drive so I gotta do something soon.

Thanks

Butch
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 01:18 PM

get a peice of clear plastic tubing from the hardware store and suck it out, NBD
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 01:46 PM

loosen a few trans bolts and the fluid will come out
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 01:47 PM

open the line into the rad trans cooler

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 01:55 PM

I'm on the same sheet of music and already bought the clear tubing. Tried this morning to suck it out using an old power drill driven pump I've had for decades, but the pumps either toast or has to be primed to suck, so I'll look for another type of pump.

It's leaking out from somewhere and getting on the drivers side exhaust pipe. Just started it up (1st time in 4 weeks) and scared the ----out of me because after a few minutes smoke started rollng out from under the car, but it was just burning the ATF off the exhaust pipe.

Since sucking it out the fill tube won't hurt anything I'll just find something else to pump it with.

Thanks!
Butch

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 01:57 PM

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Might try this first.

Thanks.

Butch
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 02:00 PM

I use about a 10-20' peice and use my mouth and by time it get's to me, either I have enough out or lay it on the ground and it will sipion out. A 10' peice of tubing is very handy for all kinds of uses, sipion, water level are just a couple I can think of.
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 02:25 PM

Quote:

It's leaking out from somewhere and getting on the drivers side exhaust pipe.

Thanks!
Butch

How about where the speedo cable hooks into the
gear part on that side of the trans.

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 02:46 PM

Yep, that would do it. The tube I have now is only about 6' so I'll get another. I like simple solutions.

Butch
Posted By: BDW

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 02:59 PM

If you only need to get a little out, you can take an old rag and slip it down the filler tube (make sure it's clean lint free). Let it sit and the cloth will wick the fluid.

Worked for me, when I had to remove 1/2 qt.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 04:15 PM

Here is a home made tool idea that will cost you next to nothing and last for years on any type of fluid reservoir that you need to drain.

Get a large, clear(preferably glass) jar with a resealable screw top. Big mayonnaise jar is what I use. Get some vacuum tubing(about 12 feet) and cut it in half poke a few holes in the lid of the jar and insert the two tubes you made. Seal them to the cap with some RTV. Mark the tubes and be sure to keep the source side close to the lid to prevent the possibility of sucking some fluid when it's full. If you do this right and work clean the tubes will become part of the cap. Now, simply insert one end into the dipstick tube and the other end to a manifold vacuum port on the manifold or carb, Run the engine at idle and you can pull as much of the fluid out neatly and cleanly(and pretty quickly-too). If the jar is clean you can even reclaim the fluid for a later use. I use it almost exclusively for transmissions, but power steering, brake master, etc. can all be drained with this setup. Car not running? Just park another car next to it and use that for the vacuum source.

MB
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 10:25 PM

Quote:

open the line into the rad trans cooler

That's the way I do it.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/16/09 10:31 PM

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MIT7400&source=froogle&kw=MIT7400

Dang cheap and you'll wonder how you lived without it. I use one at work and can dang near suck the trans pan dry with a few easy pumps.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/17/09 12:30 AM

I just bought a suction pump, put the hose down the tube and pulled out the plunger. A couple of times and it sucks out a quart in no time. If your leaking on the drivers side you may have a leak at the selector shaft seal. It`s a fairly common leak.

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/17/09 01:20 AM

I guess this could be used for oil changes as well and eliminate some of the mess. Interesting,

Butch
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/17/09 01:53 AM

sooo!!!I see some car parked next to one in a parking lot at wally word,some guys under the hood,while one has a hose down a gas tank and one car running for a vac pump

of course they got a big 5 gal jug in ther mighty vac sytem

but a interesting idea for sure
Posted By: codfish

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/17/09 02:49 AM

Pull the driveshaft out?

codfish
Posted By: minivan

Re: Sucking out overfilled 727 fluid - 08/17/09 02:54 AM

I use my boat oil changer.. Designed to go down the dipstick and suck out the fluid.. Actually comes in pretty handy as I can change the 4 qts or so of tranny fluid without dumping the pan a couple of times a year.. Keeps my tranny fluid looking good...
© 2024 Moparts Forums