Moparts

70 Air Grabber Q's

Posted By: Moneypit6

70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/16/09 12:59 PM

I've got a couple of questions as I try and clean up the air grabber install of a previous owner.

1 - I bought a vaccum can and was wondering where the factory mounted these on a 70 Roadrunner. I've seen pics of them up by the horn and also back by the firewall.

2 - what is the electric solenoid for wired in series with the manual vaccum switch??? What is it's function?

Thanks
Dennis
Posted By: plumbeeper

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/16/09 02:52 PM

The vacuum canister should be on the firewall near the heater hoses. I'll go take a pic and post it in a few minutes. The solenoid's purpose is to cause the air grabber to close when you turn off the ignition. I unhooked mine so the air grabber will stay open during car shows.

Dave

Attached picture 5420579-AirGrabberhoseschematic.jpg
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/16/09 02:57 PM

Tav

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/16/09 03:18 PM

Pardon the dust...I drive it

Dave

Attached picture 5420640-70AirGrabbervacuumcanister.JPG
Posted By: Moneypit6

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/16/09 04:02 PM

Okay!! Excellent info and pic. Is the can mounted level across the top or is it tilted down on the driver side?
So the solenoid benefit is only if you have the grabber open when you shut off the car. It swaps the vaccum when keyed off. Hmm, not sure I'll use it.
Where did you get the diagram? Maybe there are other good ones!!

Thanks
Dennis
Posted By: 1970GTX

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/16/09 04:11 PM

Quote:

Okay!! Excellent info and pic. Is the can mounted level across the top or is it tilted down on the driver side?

There should be 2 dimples stamped into the firewall. That is where the holes get drilled. Sheetmetal screws are used to fasten the vacuum canister to the firewall. I think there is also a dimple for the grommet that the hoses go through.
Posted By: okie

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/16/09 10:41 PM

The hoses come thru just above the heater hoses and the vaccumn jug set down to the left of the heater hoses. It should be easy to see where they go if they aren't drilled yet. The hoses have to run from the inside out so the grommet will work. Good Luck! Ronnie in Okla. 70 Purple 340 Swinger 70 Lemon Twist AirGrabber RoadRunner
Posted By: 70RR383

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/16/09 11:33 PM

Question,I am just surfing and trying to learn something here,I noticed (plumbeeper)in your picture that your pcv valve in the valve cover on the passenger side??Sorry for highjacking,just curios.Is this for 440 ,my 383 is on the drivers side.Thanks
Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/17/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

Question,I am just surfing and trying to learn something here,I noticed (plumbeeper)in your picture that your pcv valve in the valve cover on the passenger side??Sorry for highjacking,just curios.Is this for 440 ,my 383 is on the drivers side.Thanks

heres a 383 air grabber car

Attached picture 5421850-17thAnuualCowtownMoparRoundup024.jpg

Re: 70 Air Grabber Q's - 08/17/09 03:13 AM

Quote:

I think my breather base is from a '69 because the PCV nipple on the back of it faces the passenger side instead of the driver's side. It was on the car when I got it and since it works, I never changed it.

Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums