Moparts

How to remove distributor intermediate shaft?

Posted By: Blue69Charger

How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 04:04 AM

I tried installing my intermediate shaft in my hemi today and it fit snug. I think the bushing wasn't burnished properly. The slot is not parallel with the crank. What is the best way to get it out? I tried turning it counter-clockwise with a screwdriver and it didn't work. The oil pump and intake manifold are already installed. If I do have to remove the oil pump to tap the shaft up, where can I find another gasket?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 04:18 AM

fashion 2 "L" shaped pieces of metal to hook it on each side opposite each other, dont know if coat hanger would be stiff enough but it'd be easy to make/try. I'd try a parts house or MP for the pump base gasket or cut/punch your own in a sheet of gasket material.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 04:46 AM

I used to use snap ring pliers.
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 04:59 AM

i used a slide hammer and an l shaped bracket on the end.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 06:13 AM

I simply used a flat screwdriver to make it turn clockwise, that will unengage from cam gear, and will be closer to be removed by any regular plyer.
Posted By: repad

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 12:55 PM

I take mine out using my wifes cooking tongs. (when she is not looking of course)
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 01:19 PM

Quote:

I simply used a flat screwdriver to make it turn clockwise, that will unengage from cam gear, and will be closer to be removed by any regular plyer.

and try truning the engine backwards. it will tend to unscrew the shaft out of the block
Posted By: dgc333

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 02:06 PM

Put two large flat blade screw drivers in the slot and squeeze the handles together. Creates a nice tight wedge and allows you to pull it right out.

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 04:45 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will try them out.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and try truning the engine backwards. it will tend to unscrew the shaft out of the block

well I think on clockwise because was thinking on big Block. I guess COUNTERCLOCKWISE on Small Blocks. The fact is spining with a long flat screwdriver in the dist opposite direction will raise the shaft on top of cam ( closer to opening ) and you will be able to pull out the shaft easilly straight, without spin anymore with any long nose plyers

Re: How to remove distributor intermediate shaft? - 08/16/09 07:05 PM

Thanks guys. Turning the engine backwards did the trick. It goes in and out freely with a screwdriver now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums