Moparts

Mopar paint colors in a spray can ?

Posted By: tippytoe

Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/15/09 07:15 PM

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I have a 70 coronet beater that I was wanting to paint the rims body color (F8). I don't want to spend a bunch of cash on paint, thinner, etc & go thru the hassle of using a paint gun. I was hoping someone sold paint in an areosol can. Anything like this on the market ?
Posted By: moparmatt

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/15/09 08:03 PM

totally auto sells it in a can and it matched very well, only problem there prices just went up to almost 20.00 a can plus shipping so around 27.00 - 30.00 ??? they are not a cheap alternative anymore. also any reputable paint store can put your color in a can for probably around the same price and you dont have to wait. I loved totally auto but they are too $$$$ much now.
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/15/09 08:47 PM

Quote: "...they are not a cheap alternative anymore. also any reputable paint store can put your color in a can for probably around the same price and you dont have to wait. I loved totally auto but they are too $$$$ much now."

How are they "Too much money Now"? Because they are Now pricing there items "around the Same price" as a local automotive paint store?

I don't get the logic of that statement.

It's the Love ya, but what have you done for me lately mentallity.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/16/09 12:15 AM

Wow... i was just about to ask this question. No way in hell i could spend $20 on a spray bomb, or more. That'd be well over $30 by the time i got it here. I think i'd rather just find something close and pay $5 for it. I did that when i needed some FE5 red for my Challenger wheels found something called 'Fire Red' and it was close enough.

I was told i could get actual Mopar colors put into bombs here too, though i heard it wasn't nearly that expensive. I should check it out.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/16/09 01:22 AM

Totally Auto's paint is accually automotive grade paint. It is NOT a cheap "spray can" paint. THey just put the higher quality paint in a spray can.
Posted By: rrunner

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/16/09 12:49 PM

My local paint store will sell mixed colors in a large spray can for $12. I would check you local supplier.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/16/09 01:01 PM

THose paints will be single stage correct? Can you spray a single stange paint ontop of the clear coat of a 2 stage paint?
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/16/09 01:18 PM

My local auto body supply stores will sell either single stage or base coat in a spray can. This is the exact same paint you would buy to mix and spray yourself with a compressor, if you wanted to. I have many times, bought the base coat in a can, sprayed it on, and then bought the two part clear in a can to go over it and have achieved professional results. You are probably wondering how you can buy 2 part clear in a can. Google Spray-Max 2K Clear, and you will see that on the bottom of the can there is a button that activates one of the 2 parts, and then it mixes in the can and you have 24 to 36 hours to use it. You can buy this two part clear in a can online from R & E paint supply, but many local paint stores also carry it. One precaution....the two part clear contains isocyanates, so use proper protection when painting with it.
Posted By: tippytoe

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/16/09 01:37 PM

Thank you to everyone for your input. I am gonna check out my local paint supplier this week and see what they can do.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/16/09 03:04 PM

I read a few replies when I asked about Totally Auto's spray cans. Some mentioned they had problems and the paint would not come out good. I went ahead and tried it, would not recommend to anyone!

Followed all directions, repeatedly shaking. The paint would only work for about 1/2 the can then clogged.

Try somewhere else.
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Mopar paint colors in a spray can ? - 08/16/09 09:09 PM

Quote:

I read a few replies when I asked about Totally Auto's spray cans. Some mentioned they had problems and the paint would not come out good. I went ahead and tried it, would not recommend to anyone!

Followed all directions, repeatedly shaking. The paint would only work for about 1/2 the can then clogged.

Try somewhere else.

I have 6 cans of paint from them and not ONE has sprayed any paint for me to find out how good the color matched. I need to call them this week and see if something can be done.
© 2024 Moparts Forums