Moparts

Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body

Posted By: 1fastrunner

Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/15/09 06:06 PM

Well, I can't get the exact shade of paint, but I still want to install these mirrors on my '71 RR. Can anyone please give me some measurements as to where the holes should be for mounting? Also, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: D_C

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/15/09 06:19 PM

On my '71 Charger SE, it came with a Rally mirror on the driver's side only.

I added the right-side mirror that I purchased through a Dodge dealership at that time.

My Original and added mirrors were Chrome Plated.

I mounted the new mirror at the same position as the existing mirror on the opposite door (driver's side) using that as my template.

Couldn't you do something similar?

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/15/09 07:03 PM

That was going to be my last resort, the drivers side mirror is different and I'm waiting for the others to dry to measure. Was there a plate underneath? or do I just screw into the door?
Jim

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/15/09 07:16 PM

It was a longggg.... time ago when I did mine. As best I recall, there was a black rubber gasket that is placed between mirror base and outer door skin.

On the inner door, there was a sheet-metal backing/reinforcing plate. Studs in the mirror base penetrate the door skin (through holes you drill) and nuts secure the backing-plate against the door skin from the inside.

I have another couple of chrome rally mirrors I salvaged off a B-Body several years back at a Pick-a-Part. Just got one out to look at it.

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/17/09 10:51 PM

I just took off the drivers side mirror, and there is not a plate, but 2 bushings through the door skin. There was also a gasket. I was able to locate some of the mirror mounting plates, but they won't work on the other side because the mounting holes will be different. Any ideas what this bushing is? or can I just use any bushing? i don't want my mirror to get loose.
Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: gygeneral

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/17/09 11:34 PM

What you need is on this page. Have a look

http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?cat=1&pg=2
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/17/09 11:37 PM

You may find the article at the link below useful as well.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/mirrors.shtml

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 01:49 AM

Quote:

What you need is on this page. Have a look

http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?cat=1&pg=2

Thanks, any idea where I can get a tool?
Jim

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 01:50 AM

Quote:

You may find the article at the link below useful as well.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/mirrors.shtml

Thanks to you also,
Napa sells the kit for $128, I only need to use it for 2, anything less expensive out there?
Jim
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 02:02 AM

buy the riv nuts...and use a bolt a nut and some washers and use that to compress or squeeze the riv nut...I have the tool now but ive seen it done that way before! or go to a body shop and see if they can just put the inserts in for you!

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 02:09 AM

I could bring mine to Carlisle next year?

I have loaned it out on occassion too, you would have to pay postage both ways though.

I see you are in York, do you know Jackie?

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 02:20 AM

No, I don't think I do. Who's Jackie?
Jim

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 02:23 AM

She has a green '71 Challenger, great lady. She helps with the local shows there quite a bit.

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 02:34 AM

I haven't met her yet, but I'll be on the lookout.
I don't get to go to too many local shows as they are always on weekends, and i work most weekends.
Jim

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 03:42 AM

Here is a Photo of one of my Factory chrome Rally Mirrors and the Factory-Type Gasket and Backing-Plate I mentioned:

Attached picture 5424209-Snapshot_20090817.jpg

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 03:46 AM

Thanks for the photo, I have 2 of the backing plates, but can't use them because the passenger side won't line up with the drivers side.
Jim

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 03:55 AM

Could you reverse one backing-plate and hammer it flat to make it work on the other side?

Could you fabricate a plate from flat sheet metal? It is unseen as it is inside the door, so it doesn't need to be pretty.

I like the backing plate, as mirrors do get leaned on from time to time, and the door skin might bend or the mirror may come loose without some form of reinforcement from the back side.

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 04:28 AM

My driver's side mirror is held on with rivet nuts. The plate will move the other mirror too far down the side of the door. I'm planning on using the rivet nuts on the other side like the factory did. The driver's side has held up well.
Jim
Posted By: 72chargerz

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 05:01 AM

Quote:

Here is a Photo of one of my Factory chrome Rally Mirrors and the Factory-Type Gasket and Backing-Plate I mentioned:

That is not a 71-72 B body mirror. That is a 75-? mirror used on a variety of Mopars. A correct 71-72 mirror does not have mounting studs.
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 05:01 AM

I don't mean to Hijack Runner's thread, but I figured one of you gents might know if Colored mirrors were available on 71 Charger SE's?

Re: Painted racing mirrors on '71 b body - 08/18/09 05:23 AM

Look here, your answer is on one of these pages.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1971DealershipDataBook-03.shtml
© 2024 Moparts Forums