Moparts

Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car!

Posted By: RUMBLON

Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/15/09 12:54 PM

curious, considering trying to build one out of a 64 Dodge 330 4 door?

if you have, what was involved, any pics and was it worth it?

Dave
Posted By: therocks

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/15/09 05:24 PM

Havent built one but saw one being done.You need long Tbars have to move the wheel wells and K forward for sure.There was one on Ebay not long ago that was pretty much done.The kid was thinking about buying it.It usually cheaper to find one that was mostly done than trying to build one unless you have a lot of time and skill.Projects that get abondended are usually reasonable.Rocky
Posted By: 440fied

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 01:26 AM

Or you could use the straight axle out of a a-100 van and leave the k-frame in the stock location.

There is a very good article written by Steve Magnante on a 64 Dart he made into an altered wheelbase car. It is the same procedure to alter the wheel base on a 64 b-body. 64 Altered wheelbase Dart Article

Here are a bunch of pictures they took when they built the car. 64 Altered Dart Pics

He and a friend Dale Snoke started a company called The Funny Car Farm in Pomona, CA http://www.thefunnycarfarm.com/ They make and sell a DVD on doing altered wheelbase conversions it costs like $10-$15 bucks, lots of good information on it.

The Funny Car Farm is also building a 64 Polara altered wheelbase car.

Here are some photos of their progress. 64 Polara AWB

Also Mopars by Mosher website has some info http://www.moparsbymosher.com/

and SS and AFX, Inc. http://www.ssandafx.com/ has some info and products like seat tracks, delete plates, etc.

Also Jim Kramer http://www.kramerauto.com/ sells a lot of parts used on the altered wheelbase cars, like seat tracks, hood scoops, delete plates, etc...

Here is a good website with a 65 Belvedere AWB build up. http://afxer.com/documents/29.html
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 01:55 AM

Dad's working on one right now. It's a 65 Plymouth that's altered the same as the factory cars (10 front, 15 rear), only he's using a narrowed A-100 front axle. It's easier than relocating the K member and factory suspension.

Rear of the car was simple. Drill out the factory welds, cut out the section of floor right behind the front seats, and slide everything forward. He cut right through the frame rails and trunk floor right int he center of the trunk, and spliced in sections of frame and floor pan to fill the gap. That way, the factory frame rails, trunk floor, and bumper mount/cross member are still in place in the rear. Still have the cage work to do, but it's coming along.

The Blown 392 is finished, just need to get the car ready for it.

Attached picture 5419969-April2009006.jpg

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 01:56 AM

Front end:

Attached picture 5419970-April2009009.jpg

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 01:56 AM

Interior mods:

Attached picture 5419971-March029.jpg
Posted By: Just Cameron

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 07:25 AM

Quote:

Or you could use the straight axle out of a a-100 van and leave the k-frame in the stock location.

There is a very good article written by Steve Magnante on a 64 Dart he made into an altered wheelbase car.

That article half-tempted me to go buy my old '66 Dart Wagon back from my buddy's place, swap over the doors/pillars/quarters from a Dart 2-door post car and then shove the rear wheelwells forward before adding the buckets and axle from an A-100 (Which still turn up in yards regularly here) and going with either a Barracuda (Heeee-heeeee on a Wagon) or '63 Valiant nose.

Then I remembered I hadn't started on the Duster yet, have a chopper frame I need to build, and several guitars and amps to finish.

I need that wagon back like I need a hole in my head!

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 07:28 AM

Quote:

Interior mods:

I cannot WAIT to see your dad's car when it is done!

I do believe I've mentioned I like your Avatar.

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 07:32 AM

Just remembered, I saw a '63 Chevy Biscayne? (Not an Impala) 2 door post with what appeared to be an early 30's Ford transverse leaf mount welded to a crossmember and the I Beam radius rods connnecting to the frame farther back.

The old Fords were LIGHT even with a huge V8. Seems to me going the I-beam/transverse mount single spring on a full bodied, fullsize 60's car would be asking for trouble?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 07:33 AM

Quote:

Then I remembered I hadn't started on the Duster yet, have a chopper frame I need to build, and several guitars and amps to finish.

I need that wagon back like I need a hole in my head!

Your showing an unsual level of wisdom... Better have another beer...

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 07:50 AM

I just did. Go figure?

I was drinking coffee years ago when my buddy showed up and told me he saw it with a For Sale sign in the window. The next day it was mine and I did an improv karaoke turning "Hot Rod Lincoln" into "Dodge Dart Wagon."

I think I'd be in trouble a lot more often if it wasn't for beer?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 08:02 AM

Invest in the future... Buy more Beer!!!

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/16/09 08:38 AM

A) Driving to the store right now would be stupid.

B) I won't be able to invest in more in about 20 minutes. That makes calling a cab pointless.

C) Posting here after that point would be BAD. We're talking "altered wheelbase" here, not "altered state." I know when to cut myself off, both from beer and MoParts.
Posted By: SunroofSuperbird

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/17/09 12:15 AM

Here is my altered wheelbase cuda. it is built the cheap why by myself. but may give you some ideas. http://charger4x4.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=5951039

Attached picture 5421640-DSC09884.JPG
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/17/09 12:40 AM

Search out a copy of the AWB 4208.7 manual and have at it.
Posted By: topside

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 08/17/09 03:28 AM

I dunno, to me an AWB car is a '65 B-body or '66 A-body thing.
I like the Barracuda idea, but I'd be careful to make it low enough that it doesn't do what the 1st HemiCuda did at Lions.
If I had a '64 Dodge I'd be tempted to do a 2% Hemi lightweight clone.
Posted By: Primer King

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 09/10/09 12:56 AM

I love the altered Barracuda! There was more than a few of them in 1966+later. Also good to see another '65 Plymouth bieng done! Can't get enough of the altered wheelbase cars! There was plenty of '64s that got altered! Some were less noticeable because they were updated with '65 noses.

I started building my '65 AWB with a '65 Coronet 4door and an absolutely useless-for-anything-else convertible shell to donate the quarters and doorjambs.

Moving a 4door as you asked about is a relatively simple process. Only slightly more complicated than moving a 2door hardtop or sedan. Of course the first step is to measure, measure, measure and make sure your car is level and square. Then weld in braces between the roof and rockers and some diagonals between them (about as shown in the Chrysler Documents works fine). You'll need a donor car to provide the 2door quarters and doorjambs. Look here for more:

www.primerking.com

Keep hacking/cutting! Especially if you;re starting with a 4door. Who else is gonna care about it? Don't worry about the "pretty cars" and the guys who want to see everything spit-polished. The only race cars that are that pretty are "race cars" that have never seen a track, just the inside of a trailer.
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 09/10/09 05:05 AM

there,s a guy here in so cal ive heard about that really good at this his name is BOB MANOA(spelling?) I know hes done several awb cars my boss sold him a few 4 door bods for the project.
Posted By: RoyceFlo73

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 09/10/09 05:09 AM

Just curious as to what's the point in doing this?

That's by no means a negative question. I'm just curious. Is it just for aesthetics or is there a racing application, or just to do it?
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 09/10/09 09:56 PM

my friend ray is working on this 1. i've helped him a bit but i have way too much of my own to finish lol. he's hoping to have it at the norwalk cc event dave

Attached picture 5474716-rayscar002.jpg
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 09/11/09 01:07 AM

Never built one,but I did make some passes with 3 at the MUSCLEPALOOOOOOOSA!

Attached picture 5475108-IMG_2486.JPG
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 09/11/09 03:02 AM

If you so much as moved your rear or front wheel base forward, inward or outward, you have built an Altered. Just not as radical as the 11 Factory mules from back in the day.
The 1964 2% AFXs were altered's, but no one noticed until they started biting good and melting the competition.

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 11/03/09 02:03 AM

Heres a pic update on my cuda project

Attached picture 5582874-sdealt.JPG

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 11/03/09 02:04 AM

more

Attached picture 5582875-cudalt.JPG
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 11/04/09 12:39 AM

and here's a picture of rays from the cc event at norwalk. dave

Attached picture 5584981-norwalk09038.jpg
Posted By: Race&Resto

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 03/29/10 05:01 PM

So are there any new updates from any other members building their AWB cars on here?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Anyone on here ever built an altered wheelbase car! - 03/29/10 05:40 PM

Steve's book is a great read. Available at Amazon for anyone thinking about building one of these cars. Or for anyone who just appreciates cool hot rod work. Tons of pictures and it is really well written.
© 2024 Moparts Forums