Moparts

Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body

Posted By: 68CoronetRT

Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/15/09 01:05 AM

In need of some tips on how to get the bushings into the brackets. I have have tried lubing them with dish soap, squeezing them in with channel locks, even tried a bar clamp but so far they will not go in. I really don't want to ruin them by experimenting so any suggestions from y'all that have been down this road before would be appreciated.
Posted By: vancamp

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/15/09 02:05 AM

I personally havent tried it but a buddy of mine cit the weld put them in and rewelded it, it worked for him.

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/15/09 02:11 AM

Quote:

I personally havent tried it but a buddy of mine cit the weld put them in and rewelded it, it worked for him.

I had considered that but only as a last resort. Did he have any issues with the heat melting the bushings?
Posted By: vancamp

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/15/09 02:45 AM

none that i know of, he spotted it and cooled it in between I think.

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/15/09 10:30 PM

Anyone else have some input here?
Posted By: okie

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/15/09 10:45 PM

On mine I just had them oiled down good and kept on with a pair of channel locks, once they started they went pretty easy. i know it seems like they won't go but don't give up. Good Luck! Ronnie in Okla.
Posted By: 440fied

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/15/09 10:56 PM

I replaced a set on a 68 rr about 10 years ago. I cut the weld on the bracket and rewelded it. I used a big c-clamp to hold it all in place and welded a little at a time. I wrapped a very damp cool rag tightly around it and used compressed air to cool it after each weld. It came out looking pretty good and the rubber didn't melt.

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/17/09 03:01 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'll give the channel locks another shot but if that doesn't get results out comes the MIG.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/17/09 03:07 PM

I used a vise to pinch the bottom end, and while in the vise vise grips to pinch the top. Some synthetic gear lube helped ( I was installing poly bushings...)
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/17/09 03:13 PM

WD -40 and work from the small end toward the large end. They will go in alot easier than having to weld.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/17/09 03:23 PM

Not sure if they are the same but on my stock 67 coronet sway bar I had to cut and weld them. Pretty simple really.. I did use poly bushings.

Re: Installing sway bar bushings on 68 b-body - 08/17/09 06:31 PM

I think part of the problem is the brackets are slightly deformed.
I went the cut and weld route and just finished one side. Needed to persuade the bracket into shape but it went very smoothly and after a little clean up with the sander, prime and paint it looks great.
© 2024 Moparts Forums