Moparts

How to remove spindle from trailer axle???

Posted By: AeroMonte

How to remove spindle from trailer axle??? - 08/12/09 01:49 AM

I need help with my trailer. I siezed a bearing and ruined the spindle. I thought I would just put a new spindle in it and be on my way.....wrong!! I removed the axle assembly to make things easier to work with, ground the welds holding the old spindle and beat on the spindle with a sledge to free it up. I can see that all the welds are broke free but I can't get the spindle to budge out of the axle tube. Is there a trick to this or do I just need to spend the money and get a new axle?
Posted By: BlakDak

Re: How to remove spindle from trailer axle??? - 08/12/09 02:13 AM

hmmm, there is a plate welded to my axle tube and the spindle just bolts on.....

pics would help
Posted By: D_C

Re: How to remove spindle from trailer axle??? - 08/12/09 02:13 AM

Do you have a Photo of it?

Could you heat the tube with a Torch?
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: How to remove spindle from trailer axle??? - 08/12/09 02:32 AM

Sorry no pics. I'll try to snap some in the morning. It's a 3500# axle from my car trailer. The square plate on mine is welded all the way around the tube. It does have four holes to bolt a spindle to it... but the spindle is welded in four places to the square plate. I'll try to heat it at work tomorrow to see if it will budge.
Posted By: D_C

Re: How to remove spindle from trailer axle??? - 08/12/09 02:34 AM

Could you Torch-Cut the spindle off then grind the plate to clean it up?
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: How to remove spindle from trailer axle??? - 08/12/09 05:29 AM

that lil plate is welded on to bolt the backing plate to. the back side of the spindle sticks into the axle tube about 3 inches. check to see if its been plug welded also...
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: How to remove spindle from trailer axle??? - 08/12/09 08:12 AM

If it's like most trailer axles it's a tube with a spindle stub welded into it behind the backing plate, it may be plug welded also.

Good luck with it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums