Moparts

broken A body fuel gauge

Posted By: duster408

broken A body fuel gauge - 07/01/08 01:19 AM

I cant seem to get my fuel gauge to work correctly. I have a new sender and a new voltage limiter. With a full tank it only reads 1/4. I pulled it out of the tank and ran the sender up and down and no change. Any suggestions? thanks
Posted By: dmerc

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/01/08 01:48 AM

Make sure you have a good ground all the way back to the battery. The aftermarket sending units are very inaccurate also.
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/01/08 01:50 AM

They work on resistance. That said you are either not getting a good solid ground, or proper supply voltage.

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/01/08 01:52 AM

what should the voltage be at the sender?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/01/08 03:13 AM

Your test light should blink on and off at the sender wire. I believe a meter will read 5v. You should have a strap going from the metal outlet tube to the metal fuel line jumping the rubber hose as a ground for the sender.

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/01/08 12:39 PM

Quote:

what should the voltage be at the sender?

Wait, you have a voltage limiter or a capacitor on the gauge? Yes 5v is correct and it will pulse.

Do your other gauges work ok or are they off?

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/01/08 01:00 PM

Check out this website http://www.demonivr.com/
and this old post https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=6#Post4518202
Posted By: ademon

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/01/08 01:45 PM

What gauges do you have ralley or standard, i think the voltage reg on the ralley are built into the back of the fuel gauge, you have to remove the gauges and disasemble. standard gauges might just plug in the back

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/02/08 02:06 AM

the gauges are standard and the other gauges all work. I have tried running a ground wire all the way to the neg terminal on the battery and still no luck.

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/02/08 03:05 AM

I would check to make sure the float is ok, then try
adjusting the float lever and see if that helps. There is an abundance of crap repro senders out there. You could try a different one. It is quite imperative that the ground is good and solid, it makes all the difference in the world.
Posted By: W5Duster436

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/02/08 05:13 PM

The sender out of the car should read about 8 ohms to 86 or so as you change the float level. Just use your meter and put one wire on the tube anywhere and the other on the terminal. Just a rheostat.

Finally dropped the tank on mine the other day and found that the float was sticking against the stock and not letting it move. I don't know why I didn't check this before I put it in. I did check that the rheostat was working but didn't pay attention to it slightly snagging at the bottom. Drats!

Now I am waiting on a new tube seal to come since I destroyed the brand new one taking it out.

The other gauges in the aforementioned thread seem to be working correctly now and I have done nothing. I guess it was just 30 years of sitting..
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: broken A body fuel gauge - 07/02/08 08:46 PM

do you have the sending unit itself GROUNDED ???
© 2024 Moparts Forums